shift rod

Rbsgfd578

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Quick question, What is the trick or special tool so you can remove the screw in the shift rod to be able to drop the lower unit.Mine is a 1984 Johnson V-4 and the screw is under the lower carb and its dang near impossible to get to..Its worse putting it back then taking it off..

Re: shift rod

Mine is a 130 V4 and just used a 3/8 socket standard depth with a 1/4 drive ratchet. It's tight but it worked.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

I use a 1/4 drive, 3/8 wobbler with a long exstension, a spring loaded, three fingered pick-up, or grasping tool to put it back. A grasping tool is also handy when you drob the bolt a dozen times trying to put it back. The rule of thumb when dropping anything in a outboard engine pan, it will always roll to the deepest, darkest corner.

guy74

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I guess I cheat on getting to that linkage when I work on my BIL and cousins '81 and '82 90hp evinrudes. I rebuild the carbs and waterpump at the same time. Not hard to get to the linkage with the carbs off. I'm glad they made that easier on the later motors.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Is it not easier in Reverse, if my memory serves me correctly.

Rbsgfd578

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank you all for your help..I fought for a dang hour last week trying to get that screw back in..Finally got it but man it made me say some words that would make a sailor blush...lol..
The reason I asked this because I wanted to know what I might have been doing wrong so next time I wouldnt have to fight as hard..