shift rod question

gpmike02

Cadet
i was having issues getting my engine into reverse. i could go from reverse to neutral and it wouldn't go into neutral, so i would have to go up into forward a bit and back to neutral to get it to hit neutral. It was doing the same thing in forward, i would have to go past neutral into reverse a bit then back to neutral to hit neutral. On my last fishing trip it wouldn't go into reverse. i could put the controls in reverse and it would just rev up with a bit of clicking like the clutch dog wasn't fully engaged. I adjusted the shift cable and i could either get reverse with no forward or forward with no reverse.

I pulled the lower unit to check the shift rod height. It is correct. My question is, is there supposed to be a noticeable click or stop going from reverse to neutral to forward when moving the shift rod? i thought i felt it click into each gear when i had the lower off for water pump replacement a few months ago. When the shift rod is in the bottom(reverse) position i pull up and it goes straight to forward gear. I have to pull it up easy and find the middle to get it to hit neutral. This problem started after i did the water pump, but i didn't mess with the shift rod so i don't know what i could have done.

gpmike02

Cadet
ah sorry..got side tracked here at work and forgot... its a 2001 johnson 115 ocean pro

racerone

Supreme Mariner
So what is your exact measurement on the shift rod.-----I am not there to see , hear or feel your motor.------Or shall I say I recommend a teardown of the lower unit.-----In my opinion they are not as robust as older units.----You might save a lot of money catching a problem before the gears go ---BOOM ---here.--Hopefully you can do the work yourself.-------Your opinion may differ.

gpmike02

Cadet
i measured pretty close to 21-1/4". I can do the work myself pretty easily. when i manually put the shift rod in reverse/forward everything spins fine, no grinding or rough feeling. Gear oil looked good and clean, no burnt smell. The day it wouldn't go in reverse i finished the day out and i ran about 25 miles and forward worked perfectly. I'm just not sure myself if its a bad shift cable or in the gear case. When i would move the lever in and out of gear i would look back at the shift rod and it was barely moving up and down.