Shift position way off

AaronR650

Cadet
I have a 84 Evinrude 25hp Electric start(Model number E25TECRD). In the levers neutral position, gear box is in reverse... Neutral is somewhat about 1 o' clock and forward is at about 2:30. I can't find out how to adjust the linkage length. Other videos people just twist the lower units shift rod. However mine will not budge. It doesn't have the flats on either end to grip. Do I have to to take the powerhead off and adjust from the top rod ?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There is NO ADJUSTMENT on the shift rod connecter.----Repeat no adjustment.-----You line up the notch in the shift rods with the hole and install the wee bolt.

AaronR650

Cadet
There is NO ADJUSTMENT on the shift rod connecter.----Repeat no adjustment.-----You line up the notch in the shift rods with the hole and install the wee bolt.
There is zero adjustment whatsoever? because the lever will not push back to reverse while the rods are connected.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I guess I need to be more clear.---There is no adjustment possible on the connecter with the 2 wee bolts !----Propeller must be turning when you shift this motor !

AaronR650

Cadet
I might need to be more clear sorry.
I guess I need to be more clear.---There is no adjustment possible on the connecter with the 2 wee bolts !----Propeller must be turning when you shift this motor !
I might need to be more clear sorry. The lower unit shifts into reverse, neutral and forward just fine. However to go in reverse, prop spins backward, the shift lever is in the neutral position, and neutral for the lower unit is between the neutral and forward for shift lever position. Making the motor not sit in an idle and instead pop into forward gear.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Add a little lube to the connector to make things easier. Remove the top bolt, and pry the connector apart at the top just slightly with a bladed screwdriver. Look at the end of the upper shift rod. It has a machined indentation to allow the bolt you removed to slide through. The rod has to be fully inserted for the indentation to be in place.

Assemble the lower unit first, short of connecting to the upper leg. You have a long model. Best to have the motor attached to the boat transom or to a stand. Place the gearshift in forward or reverse -- whichever extends the upper shift shaft. Lift up on the lower shaft to get extra height (may have to rotate the prop).

Now the tricky part, at least the first time. Lift the lower unit into position fitting the driveshaft into the powerhead, and the copper water pipe neatly into the rubber grommet at the impeller housing. At the same time(!) line up the upper shaft with the connector and slide the shaft into the connector. There should be just enough room to reinsert the bolt as described earlier. Tighten the bolt and carefully raise the lower unit into place. Screw in the bolts and torque them evenly, and you are done. The shift rod length is not an issue. If fitted properly into the connector, all gears will work properly (don't force).

AaronR650

Cadet
Add a little lube to the connector to make things easier. Remove the top bolt, and pry the connector apart at the top just slightly with a bladed screwdriver. Look at the end of the upper shift rod. It has a machined indentation to allow the bolt you removed to slide through. The rod has to be fully inserted for the indentation to be in place.

Assemble the lower unit first, short of connecting to the upper leg. You have a long model. Best to have the motor attached to the boat transom or to a stand. Place the gearshift in forward or reverse -- whichever extends the upper shift shaft. Lift up on the lower shaft to get extra height (may have to rotate the prop).

Now the tricky part, at least the first time. Lift the lower unit into position fitting the driveshaft into the powerhead, and the copper water pipe neatly into the rubber grommet at the impeller housing. At the same time(!) line up the upper shaft with the connector and slide the shaft into the connector. There should be just enough room to reinsert the bolt as described earlier. Tighten the bolt and carefully raise the lower unit into place. Screw in the bolts and torque them evenly, and you are done. The shift rod length is not an issue. If fitted properly into the connector, all gears will work properly (don't force).
Will definitely give that a go!

AaronR650

Cadet

Did what you said, now It shifts correctly, however it will not go into neutral from reverse. It needs to be put from reverse to forward then back to neutral. I tried adjusting the shifter arm by loosing the two screws but there was almost no play. My second issue is, At full throttle I'll be cruising around and then the engine will over rev, in which i quickly turn down the throttle. From what I have read this sounds like a bad prop?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Whenever you shift into gear without the engine running, you need to turn the prop slightly, maybe pull slightly on the starter rope. You may have a problem with the gearcase, but I wouldn't assume anything before you are sure assembly is correct. You might reattach the top and bottom rods (i.e., both bolts in the connecter). Patience.... The gearcase has been refilled, I assume, with high viscosity meant for manual gear cases.

Overrevving sounds like a prop issue.