Shift linkage ball fell out of lower unit?!?

spinfly

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 28, 2012
Messages
16
1995 Suzuki DT40.

Had to pull the shift linkage out of lower unit when I inspected the gears. Turned the unit upside down and a 1/4 ball fell out. I see a notch on the back side of the linkage, looks like this ball goes there.

Is this right? If so, how do I get it back in? I was unable to get the pinion gear off the drive shaft, and therefor could not get the forward gear out--so if anyone can tell me how to get the pinion gear unstuck from the drive shaft, that may enable me to access the area where the ball goes. But I may be way off here.

Thank you in advance.
 

spinfly

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 28, 2012
Messages
16
Re: Shift linkage ball fell out of lower unit?!?

Issue resolved.

This ball does go behind the shift cam, in a hole in the front of the gear housing, in front of the forward gear. Also, I had to use an 8-pound sledge to literally beat the entire lower unit housing off of the drive shaft. For an unknown reason, the pinion gear was froze to the d/s spindles. Thought I was going to tear something up, but it finally gave way. So if you run into this, don't be afraid to be aggressive!

Here's a diagram of my clutch assembly, in case you need a reference. The ball that fell out is part # 14.
Clutch Diagram.jpg
 
Top