Shift Interrupter Switch Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

wreckless

Seaman
1989 Mercruiser 5.7 with Alpha One stern drive. I recently replaced the lower shift cable and am having trouble with hard shifting from forward/reverse to neutral. I am fairly sure the problem is the shift interrupter switch. My question is how do I test the shift switch and where can I find an electrical diagram for the switch so I know where to check for continuity?
Thanks in advance for information....

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: Shift Interrupter Switch Testing

With the engine running, you can manually depress the switch. It should kill the engine. The switch simply goes to ground - grounding the ignition causes the engine to die.

totx

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Go up to the Adult section and download the service manual for your engine.

gdombroski

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If it's working and gears are engaging forward/reverse with clunking idle speed in gear (to high) may be the problem.

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

Sounds like if you haven't, you should try going through the entire adjustment procedure very carefully. It's not necessarily intuitive at first and is easy to get wrong. being a little off can cause what you;re referring to.... Just my personal experience.

wreckless

Seaman

Go up to the Adult section and download the service manual for your engine.

Are you implying that there are not Adults that visit or post in this section? I know sometimes I require adult supervision but not in this case.

I cuttently own three boats and have owned about 30 in my life and have always maintained all of them (mostly Johnson/Evinrude outboards). I have Clymer manuals for all my engines. None of which specifically state how to test the interrupter switch.

Idle engine rpm in seawater is 850. Have adjusted and re-adjusted shift linkage according to manual (Clymer for Mercureser 5.7).

Thanks for all the Adult advice.

IVAZ

Master Chief Petty Officer

Idle engine rpm in seawater is 850. Have adjusted and re-adjusted shift linkage according to manual (Clymer for Mercureser 5.7).
Thats too high, it should be around 650-750.

As stated above, to check the switch all you have to do is push the button. If it kills the engine, it works.

wreckless

Seaman

My mistake. I never accessed the Adult section of the Forum. Since I only 58 I thought that was a forbidden section.

After a little more research I am fairly sure that the interrupter switch is the culprit. I will also set my idle a little lower.

Thanks again for all the input.

Paul

peter paul

Petty Officer 2nd Class

you know guys i been readying all the forum for the past three day on everything on no spark, shifting problem, flooding,week spark, no spark and shifting problems. and sound to me all similare problem im having flooding week spark no start. i started the engine left it running for about 15 min and went to shift engine died out tryed to start it no luck whent back to basic checked fuel good cranking good new starter 12 volt to coil good new coil just in case fuel pump just in case i iliminated all engine reguirment and im reading about interupt switch maybe that my proble any information about that piece like i said i had motor running went to shift motor die no start now. 1983 mercruiser 4cyliner cuddy cabin it a 470 any inf i will appreciate

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Please don't open an old thread of someone elses to ask your question.
Start a new thread of your own, then it won't be lost in the middle of someone elses thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.