Shift cable?

ericcarr

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just got done replacing all my bellows along with my shift cable. Am I ok to assume I can just go ahead and install my drive and do my cable adjustment at the motor? It’s a 1990 sea ray sundancer with the 7.4/ bravo 3 drive.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Like doc says there's two ways to set a bravo shift cable. One is using the two piece tool set, one plate on the bell housing with the cable end pulled to it with no space between the cable end, plate and housing. Then using the other piece of the tool you adjust the trunion to fit in the hole with the cable end attached to the pin. It makes sense if you have the tool kit in hand.

The other way is with the drive installed and using the plastic tool at the shift plate to adjust f/n/r. Either way works, the two piece tool kit is easier imo, ymmv

ericcarr

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have this plastic piece tool, I can do it with just this right? What is the 2 piece tool set?

Attachments

• C5223BF6-43D9-4118-8F06-87983DEE2D17.png
    C5223BF6-43D9-4118-8F06-87983DEE2D17.png
    754.5 KB · Views: 0

dubs283

Vice Admiral
I have this plastic piece tool, I can do it with just this right? What is the 2 piece tool set?
Yes, you can adjust with that, it's designed to be used with the drive installed. Just follow the oem manual for instructions.

The two piece us used with the drive off, the slotted plate is used to control the length of the inner cable at the bell housing. The other part is used to set the dimension of the trunion at the engine end of the cable.

Unknown if there is an aftermarket tool kit available, either borrow from a shop or buy from merc?