Shift cable issues

Jwilco

Recruit
5.0L Yamaha stern drive. Engine was stalled every time you tried shifting out of neutral into forward or reverse. Adjusted both bottom and top shift cables to the point where it shifts into reverse, out of reverse back to neutral and into forward fine but now stalls only when coming out of forward into reverse. Weird part is the interruptor switch will ohm out during the above mentioned times engine doesn’t stall and will not ohm out when it does stall coming out of forward. Doesn’t make sense why it stalls at that point. Does anyone have any suggestions for us? Is it a bad lower cable, the one that goes from the shift linkage into the foot? We noticed “neutral” could vary exact location of linkage slightly, like 1/8th inch or so, from time to time. Is that cable binding or something? We are stumped. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• FC0266C8-BC4D-49C3-8804-AF38CCB4941C.jpeg
    FC0266C8-BC4D-49C3-8804-AF38CCB4941C.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,.... Donno much 'bout Yamahas, but it sounds like the lower shift cable is dragging,.....

Jwilco

Recruit
Thanks Bondo. Dragging? You think the problem is with the lower cable itself? Needs to be replaced?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... 'bout the only thing I can tell ya, is how I do Mercs,....

With the drive off, 'n the lower shift cable off the switch plate, the cable should move through it's entire travel, warm butter smooth,....
Effortlessly,....

Jwilco

Recruit
Ayuh,.... 'bout the only thing I can tell ya, is how I do Mercs,....

With the drive off, 'n the lower shift cable off the switch plate, the cable should move through it's entire travel, warm butter smooth,....
Effortlessly,....
Thank you. Will check this next.