Shift cable issue only in reverse. New Delco EST

LAC_STS

Master Chief Petty Officer
So I have the plastic version of the OEM OMC transom shift cable tools.

i have installed a new transom cable before when I still had the points dist. Using the tools and the real OEM manual everything went fine.

Finally decided to ditch the points dist and grabbed the Delco EST kit. Same thing replaced new cable with tools. Followed the Delco instructions to hook up to the stumble switch.

Put in the water and at ideal forward and reverse shift perfectly. BUT forward no problem at all. Reverse idle it will shift into and out of gear correctly. BUT if I give it any gas in reverse it instantly dies. I did notice that the detent part has a lot of play shifting forward. Reverse it’s sitting right on the stumble switch.

Gonna re read the manual as it’s been a while but I think o need to take a little away from the forward part and give some more room for the detent part for when it’s in reverse.

Or should I remove the out drive and start all over again ?

Much thanks for any advice

happy boating

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Put in the water and at ideal forward and reverse shift perfectly. BUT forward no problem at all. Reverse idle it will shift into and out of gear correctly. BUT if I give it any gas in reverse it instantly dies. I did notice that the detent part has a lot of play shifting forward. Reverse it’s sitting right on the stumble switch.
Howdy,

I guess by your signature, you're talking about a cobra with an ESA......

If you move the throttle past idle and the engine dies, you've discovered that the ESA is activating? It shouldn't "DIE". It should "stumble" when the ESA "pulses" the ignition.

If the engine is just quitting, did you wire the ESA wrong or is missing and you just a have "kill" (ignition interrupt) switch now?

Also, if the shift plate is moving after the engine is in gear, the lower shift cable is adjusted "wrong".

It should only move far enough to activate the switches when the drive is in gear with sufficient force to go to Neutral. Activating the ESA REDUCES the force to pull the dogs apart by causing torque-reduction "pulses"

So have a look at the shift plate, with the boat in the water, in both FWD and REV (IDLE). Have someone shift from FWD to Neutral AND REV to Neutral and observe how far the shift plate moves in each direction.

Then after shifting into FWD or REV, observe the shift plate. If it moves at all, once in gear, something is adjusted wrong. It shouldn't move at all.