Shift cable for Cobra

SteveDavis

Seaman
I am aware that I need a shift cable for my boat, but have a question what I need. Everyone says I need a lower shift cable. Forgive me if I sound stupid, but is that what goes from the throtle to the engine? Or should I be looking for one from the engine to the outdrive?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Shift cable for Cobra

You need the one from the engine to the outdrive.

Rob454

Chief Petty Officer

They run about 100$. i jsut didmine.
Good time to look at the bellows and service the coupler
Rob

fourwinnsdook

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How difficult is it to change by yourself if you are mechanically inclined?

Liquid_force

Petty Officer 1st Class

How difficult is it to change by yourself if you are mechanically inclined?
With a factory omc manual, a free weekend, some patience, and preferably a helper - I'm sure you can figure it out.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

When I did these I always rented the bellcrank alignment tool. You can do it with a square but it is way easier with the tool. If you don't have the tool it is pretty necessary to have a helper hold the bellcrank in the 90 degree position whle you adjust the cable at the engine.

SteveDavis

Seaman

I am still waiting on my OMC repair manual. Does one have to take off the outdrive to accomplish this?

Dakota47

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yes, outdrive must be removed to install & adjust cable

SteveDavis

Seaman

I currently have a red lower shift cable, does that mean that it has been replaced at some time? This boat has been in the family since it came off the show room, but my brother in law never changed it, and my father can't rember if he changed it. That would have been at least 8 years ago.

If it was changed, now it shifs kind of stiff. I have heard that it should only take one finger to shift. That might be a exageration but mine is not real easy, but not real hard. It is hard to explain. Though it is how I remember it when it was newer, but maybe it was always wrong.

Thanks again all.

RC

Petty Officer 1st Class

Steve, if it's red then it's been changed.

http://www.hastings.org/~stuart/cobra/

This link will give you all the info you need on getting your Cobra to shift with your finger. Copy and paste it if necessary. Good luck.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

The red cable was an updated cable by OMC,They had problems with the original black cable binding.It could still be a very old cable.They make all of the after market cables red now also.
I have an original red OMC cable kit that has directions and all the new shift levers that i was going to put on Ebay...I sold the boat that i had bought it for. It retailed for a little over 200 bucks. I was going to list it for 125...
Its the real thing still in the OMC box..Shift Cable.JPG