She just won't start easy nor stay running 4.3l

beruken

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Being a 4.3 LH and not having a serial number the motor "should" have TBV ignition. Would know better with serial number

TB4 or 5 has same troubleshooting chart
View attachment 399755

Being TB ignition it might be the module, but test should verify.
Does the module have 2 or 3 wires on it?
3 wires. Yes it is a Thunderbolt. I had bought a new module years ago, found that wasn't the problem and sold it. hindsight :)

beruken

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Being a 4.3 LH and not having a serial number the motor "should" have TBV ignition. Would know better with serial number

TB4 or 5 has same troubleshooting chart
View attachment 399755

Being TB ignition it might be the module, but test should verify.
Does the module have 2 or 3 wires on it?
it is a 3 wire. I'm a little leary of connecting the coil to ground with the spark gap tester. Was that the coil side or distributor side of the coil connection?

alldodge

Staff member
it is a 3 wire. I'm a little leary of connecting the coil to ground with the spark gap tester. Was that the coil side or distributor side of the coil connection?
We are way out into the twilight zone here or your not understanding what I'm talking about. Guessing we are not on same page

The module is inside the Dizzy and is not the coil

Sorry, no, I sold the $500 ECU module I didn't need. How does that distributor module come out? I have to remove the distributor or just the cap to access it?

The module (item 6) comes out with 2 screws
https://www.mercruiserparts.com/bam/subassembly/31511/2694/70

beruken

Petty Officer 2nd Class
We are way out into the twilight zone here or your not understanding what I'm talking about. Guessing we are not on same page

The module is inside the Dizzy and is not the coil

The module (item 6) comes out with 2 screws
https://www.mercruiserparts.com/bam/subassembly/31511/2694/70
Yes, I understood what you were talking about but had the ecu on my mind when you referenced thunderbolt. I always assumed the ecu was part of that. So again, referring to the diagram to test the module. I connect the sparkgap to the "COIL" and ground it, then tap the green/wht fast to ground to see if it sparks while the key is in run position?

alldodge

Staff member
Yes, I understood what you were talking about but had the ecu on my mind when you referenced thunderbolt. I always assumed the ecu was part of that. So again, referring to the diagram to test the module. I connect the sparkgap to the "COIL" and ground it, then tap the green/wht fast to ground to see if it sparks while the key is in run position?
Should have spark doing this test

beruken

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Should have spark doing this test
did test despite having new coil delivred last night. failed test and put in coil. wouldn't ya know it. old one had maybe 40 hours or less but had been sitting for 4 years. don't know why last summer it fired and last fall it wouldn't, but in the past now. idled a little rough at about 650 rpm and oil pressure only registered about 50-55 with throttle, good?

Scott06

Vice Admiral
did test despite having new coil delivred last night. failed test and put in coil. wouldn't ya know it. old one had maybe 40 hours or less but had been sitting for 4 years. don't know why last summer it fired and last fall it wouldn't, but in the past now. idled a little rough at about 650 rpm and oil pressure only registered about 50-55 with throttle, good?
Oil pressure 50-55 is really good, usually a cold reading as oil thins when engine gets warm. good rule of thumb is when oil is warm to have 10 psi for every 1000 rpm of engine speed. I usually have about 55-60 at 4000-4500 when good and warm. more if the lake is still cold