shaft seal tool ?

fishinrado

Petty Officer 2nd Class
98 ALPHA ONE GEN II
DOING THE WATER PUMP etc
I imagine the drive shaft seal ( face seal) has to go under the pump housing? mushroom on top and seal flange under top of housing?
My damn kit did not come with the face seal tool so can anything else be used?
Thanks!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: shaft seal tool ?

98 ALPHA ONE GEN II
DOING THE WATER PUMP etc
I imagine the drive shaft seal has to go under the pump housing? mushroom on top and seal flange under top of housing?
My damn kit did not come with the seal tool so can anything else be used?
Thanks!

You need to get the tool. Shame those cheap aftermarket kits don't supply the tool like the OEM does, you just have to buy the tool separate. Face Seal & Tool for Mercruiser 26-816575A2, Mercury, Mariner, GLM 85590 - Sierra 18-2599 - iboats

No, the seal does not go inside the pump. You should have had a manual.

View attachment A1G2 Impeller Replace.pdf

fishinrado

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks, just what I thought. I meant the lower "skirt" of the seal would go in the housing and the majority of the seal stays on top. guess that's what the tool does damn it :)

achris

More fish than mountain goat

thanks, just what I thought. I meant the lower "skirt" of the seal would go in the housing and the majority of the seal stays on top. guess that's what the tool does damn it :)

Still not right.... The water pump housing gets installed in the gear housing, then the face seal gets slide down the shaft until it's about 1" from the pump housing. Then you put the install tool over the seal, pull up on the drive-shaft and push the seal and tool down until the tool stops on the pump housing. Remove the tool and that's it.... No part of the seal will be inside the pump housing...

Chris.........