Several issues w/ 1989 Force 85HP

Hello,

im new to boating and recently purchased a 17 foot invader reef runner that came with the engine noted above. After going through the boat I noticed a couple things that seemed off from the engine. I am currently trying to rebuild the carbs but apparently the rebuild kits are not longer available. I will have to attempt to clean the carbs without replacement parts. The issues that I’m dealing with are a the following:

- lower unit of the engine is leaking oil when I tilt It to its lower position. It seems it is leaking from 4 holes 2 on each side of the lower unit towards the top portion. These small holes are about 20% the size of the vent and filler holes but not sure why it is leaking oil through this area. I have triple checked all forums and haven’t come across this.

- my other problem is that the engine is throwing a good amount of oil through the exhaust I believe as running the engine I noticed a good amount of floating oil on top of the container. Thai oil covered the entire container top area of wager enough to not be able to see through. Engine has 122-124-120PSI on each cylinder.

any suggestions as to what the wholes are and how to stop this leak. Are these whole meant to prevent over filling?

please help as most of the mechanics in the area won’t give you the time of day now and seems I need to take care of this on my own.

Attachments

• photo338291.jpg
    photo338291.jpg
    719.5 KB · Views: 1

Nordin

Commander
These holes are weep holes to drain the LU from water.
You have to pressurize check the LU, there are some seals at the top of the LU that could be bad.
If they leak the gear oil will weep out from the weep/drain holes.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Your second post asking about carbs.
Try to keep it to one.

The floating oil: normal
Running at slow speeds and in a bucket the oil comes from
unburned gas/oil mix.

Do what Nordin suggested, a pressure test.
Maybe change the oil and use one like Mercury that has
a blue color, that way you know if it's gear oil.

Cleaning carbs: 99% of the time a can of spray carb cleaner and
Dawn soap are that's needed.
IF??? there's a lot of hard residue then a professional job might be needed?
Kits on ebay
FK10125

Thanks for the replies. It’s defiantly gear oil as it is blue in color. I did notice some white spots in the oil indicating some oil in the water I think. My next plan is to the a pressure test on it but haven’t done that ever. I’m planning on looking on YouTube for a video to see what I need.

does anyone have a good video they can recommend or the tools needed?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
#1 tip: slotted screw on the side of the lower unit,
DON"T remove.
The drain is on the bottom, might be an allen head setscrew??
The slotted screw is the pivot pin for the linkage, you remove and]
the lower unit will need to be dismantled to replace.

U-tube has videos for making pressure testers.

These holes are weep holes to drain the LU from water.
You have to pressurize check the LU, there are some seals at the top of the LU that could be bad.
If they leak the gear oil will weep out from the weep/drain holes.

I did a pressure test on the LU and when I turn on the compressor, it didn’t show any pressure and oil begun seeping from the left side of the lower unit out of the weep holes. It wasn’t gushing out but was dripping out as I turned on the compressor. I plan to drain the lower unit’s oil and open it up. Does anyone know what gasket could have failed?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
IF??it's leaking from the weep holes??
Then two places can be the problem.
The drive shaft seal or the shift shaft seal??

Drop the lower and drain the oil.
Then a spray bottle with soapy water, air pressure in
one drain hole and spray with soapy water.