setting idle speed on '92 omc 3.0?

nhcris

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
May 5, 2012
Messages
29
Hi all, I'm new to boating and iboats now... I've been able to answer a lot of my own questions reading these forums, but have not found exactly what i'm looking for. Question 1 is does the shift cable adjustment affect the idle speed? My boat went in the water for the first time yesterday and I noticed the idle speed in neutral was at 1800 rpm, so it engaged a little rough into gear, the rpm would slow to about 1200 rpm. Rpm in gear should be at 650, correct? Once I am able to get the rpm lowered do I check the timing in gear or in neutral? Can I do that part on the muffs? On a side note, how often should the water separator be changed out? Thanks for any help!
 

Kainon

Chief Petty Officer
Joined
Sep 13, 2009
Messages
608
Re: setting idle speed on '92 omc 3.0?

shift cable should not effect or be used for idle speed, but if your in a bind, sure np..

When the engine is warming up it can be upto 1800 but you would never want to shift over 1000 if you can help it.

I set the base idle with a warm engine in my favorite boating spot ( so not running on muffs or in a bucket ) as you want the weight of the body of water pushing on the prop.

the idle speed is effected by carb condition, idle mixture, timing, idle setting ( small screw in the throttle arm on the side of the carb ) timing is set @ what ever speed is specified, could be @ 650F or 800N

keep in mind to if you have the dock time you can leave the boat tied to the trailer

theres a small arm the idle screw rests on it's either stepped or tapered so that when the choke is closed the idle is higher, give the throttle a little movement when the engine is warmed and the idle should settle down if everything else is set.

then reattach the cable and adjust so that it has a little positive pressure to make sure the arm is firmly in the idle position.
 

nhcris

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
May 5, 2012
Messages
29
Re: setting idle speed on '92 omc 3.0?

Thanks for the tip!
 
Top