set back differences on jack plates

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
I am planning on getting a hydraulic jack plate so i can motor( even if slowly) in shallow waters and not have the bow raise( then the rear sit) when I get into too much throttle....I had thought the further back the cleaner the water might be for me....knowing it would be hanging more weight further back thus sinking the rear just a little more.....but since I am having flotation pods welded on as well...as another method to help me float this boat as shallow as possible, I dont think the extra set back would hurt me in that reguards.

I will have a guage so once I get deep enough i can dial it back to the standard setting

so my question what are the ups and the downs between set backs..

the reason i am asking is because i found a used 5" setback unit for a pretty good deal...and i was thinking of a 8 or 10" setback originally.

the boat is a big wide LOWE Ultra Roughneck...70 " at the chines...

since this is my first jack plate...

thanks bob

Bondo

Staff member
Re: set back differences on jack plates

.....but since I am having flotation pods welded on as well...as another method to help me float this boat as shallow as possible, I dont think the extra set back would hurt me in that reguards.

Ayuh,... You're totally re-engineering the hull...
Depending on how long these pods are,... You may not have any Set-back at all...
Might even be Inset...