Service Question F115 Cooling system

bgbird

Seaman Apprentice
My F115TLR Yama has about 109 hrs on it now. Yard wants to do "cooling system service" that replaces the water pump, internal anodes, thermostat. They want $640 for the job. I think that I will do it myself.

I notice in their price list that they order a new housing for the waterpump. Isn't the nylon housing reusable?. I have the shop manual as well as some forum posts. I have been looking for Rodbolt's step-by-step (can't have too much info).

The yard didn't call out the popit valve. The motor is used in salt water. I do a fresh water flush about 3/4 of the time. Should I do the popit - and should I be doing anything in addition?

Motor serial number 68VL1082177

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Service Question F115 Cooling system

Go to bogueinletnc/yamaha.com for detailed instructions with photos for water pump replacement and several other maintenance related procedures. Good Luck!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

why go looking? that and its not quite right.
I have posted the bolt by bolt step by step instructions right here.
if your original pump housing is not melted anywhere,after careful inspection, there is absolutly no reason to change it.
buy the pump kit,pressure control valve grommet,gasket, t stat and install it.
takes about 1.5 hours to do the pump and maybe another 20 minutes to do the control valve grommet and t stat.
anodes just depend on how corroded they are but figgue another 30 minutes.
pump kit is roughly 70 dollars,t stat about 45 and the grommet about 2.50.

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

When you get the kit, recommend you also get the plastic washer or retainer assy. along with the stainless steel cover for it. Sometimes it a bear to remove and damages easily. Nice to have an extra around. Parts man should know what you are talking about. Should be on the shelf. Dont know why its not included in the kit.
Also be sure the SS liner in the plastic cup does not become un indexed when you are pushing the impeller into it. If it does, the liner will rotate and partually block the pump outlet. regards FRED