Serial number means ...?

ValleyLlama

Cadet
I have an older 50 hp mercury outboard with the serial number 7031450. I am looking for possible tune up parts ( carb kit(s)) - not sure how many carbs it has. I am also wondering what info is contained in the serial number.
Thanks in advance - VL

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I am sure it is a 4 cylinder with 2 carburetors.-----I am not sure why you would want to do the carburetors first on this motor.----Very little goes wrong with them.-----What is your motor doing / not doing ?----Post the results of a compression test.----And check for spark strength.----Must jump a gap of 3/8" on each lead.

ValleyLlama

Cadet
I am sure it is a 4 cylinder with 2 carburetors.-----I am not sure why you would want to do the carburetors first on this motor.----Very little goes wrong with them.-----What is your motor doing / not doing ?----Post the results of a compression test.----And check for spark strength.----Must jump a gap of 3/8" on each lead.
I just bought the boat c/w the 50 hp Merc. I was told by the seller he figured it needed a carb kit. I have never really used it yet due to some medical challenges. Maybe the best idea is just to wait until the warmer weather arrives and then I can look at it and sort it all out. It supposedly 'bogs down' when you open it up. I have yet to put it in the water to do much with it. I was hoping to get a jump on it before the season starts but it is still early. Thank you for your response. I know little about these motors. I can do a compression test when it stops snowing. Take good care - VL

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Might just need low speed mixture screws opened 1/8th turn at a time.----Often that simple adjustment gets rid of bogging.

dwco5051

Commander
Serial # comes back to a Canadian 1975 model if I read my cheat sheet I have tucked in an old factory manual right.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Agreed----It is a simple fact that people will sell a boat / motor when faced with expensive repairs.-----The trouble shooting starts with a compression test.----Post your numbers.------Those motors never had an overheat warning feature either.----If motor proves to be in good condition a new water pump impeller MUST be installed !!

ValleyLlama

Cadet
Agreed----It is a simple fact that people will sell a boat / motor when faced with expensive repairs.-----The trouble shooting starts with a compression test.----Post your numbers.------Those motors never had an overheat warning feature either.----If motor proves to be in good condition a new water pump impeller MUST be installed !!
Thank you. The weather has warmed a bit. I will try and get the numbers soon.

ValleyLlama

Cadet
Compression is 130 pounds on each cylinder, the spark is very strong, and gas flows well from the tank to the fuel pump and through it as well. A new water impeller has been ordered.

ValleyLlama

Cadet
New question I also have 10 hp Ted Williams outboard - serial number on tag attached to the Tecumseh motor head - 380B Tecumseh 7742930

It is need of a water impeller . I have had no luck finding an OE so I was wondering if any other brand impeller would fit? The 50 hp Merc. is just purring - thanks for the support and input.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Sears may still sell parts for that motor. You might check there. A lawn mower shop (if there are any left) may also be a source, due to the OEM playing mostly in the mower industry.

Some of those motors had a balloon-like fuel pumps. You might see if you can source one of those, if necessary.

ValleyLlama

Cadet
I found a 'source' - Candy Marine on ebay. They are located in China. Not sure of product quality though. Could be good.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Watch for quality. You have an obscure motor with a regular maint item, and the only one who had it was from the PRC? It sounds fishy.

As an example, I bought some spark plugs from the Chinese, and even though it was a sorta normal part, the spark plugs I got lasted 300 miles, until they started to misfire. It would be wrong to condemn all Chinese parts as I have used some great replacement parts

ValleyLlama

Cadet
Maybe I will see do some measurements and see if another motor/brand impeller would work. Thanks for responding.