Semi basket case: '75 Sea King 7.5HP

jim j geezer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Try to imagine....
That your neighbor is running a vocational shop for small engines & outboards at a community college. Suddenly he drops dead and the class goes away. The college auctions off all the 'stuff', including a nice-and-tight 7.5HP Sea King. Time passes and you see a $30 bargain on Craigslist for that outboard, and so you pounce...

Off the bat there's an apparent fuel delivery problem because you can get it to "cough"-"sputter"-"run" for a second or two if you squirt fluel into the carb throat before cranking. Off comes the carb.
Not so fast! It ain't cooperating. Seems the reed valve assy is reluctant to part company with the carb. You arrange an amiable seperation and get the carb & attached (Tillotson) fuel pump off. Reed valves look pristine. Upon dropping the float bowl, evidence of crud presents. 1/3 of a can of carb cleaner later, you pronounce the carb fit for duty & reinstall. SAME thing!
Offit comes again with an eye toward the fuel pump (which had stubborn screws). Apart it comes, and reveals a little crud, AND............ some good news! It has a teflon diaphragm in good shape. Clean, reassemble and put it back together. SAME thing!
Start looking HARD at the fuel pump and the 2 hoses leading thereto: Vac & fuel. Why is the vac line attached to the side of the fuel pump that feeds the carb? The plastic hoses appeared to be original equipment and were all but petrified to hold their shapes. It didn't seem likely that someone wouldd have or COULD have switched 'em. Unless....
Both hoses were completely removed - instead of just at one end. New rubber lines are now in place with the vac line going to the OUTside of the pump and the fuel line going to the INside of the pump.
Squeezed the primer bulb until it got hard and tried again. SAME thing!
Removed the powerhead hose from the male quick-connect and pressed the primer bulb. zilch
Juryrigged some 1/4" copper tubing to bypass both quick-connects. Got fuel to leak outta the carb!
wunnerful
Now it won't even pop.
Cranked until........... the recoil rope broke.
*sigh*
New line and a lube job on the recoil makes it like new.
Crank s'more. No pop.
Pulled the flywheel.
The end of the plug wire that was SUPPOSED to be coming outta the coil was flapping in the breeze 3/8" away from the hole. Someone had tried to glue it but...
*Protip* If you're gonna glue a wire in place... CLEAN it first! I used "Goop" 'Automotive' glue & a wire tie.
That got me reliable spark and enabled me to get it to start & run.
Sort of...
It starts easily enough and idles down OK (I think), but if I advance the throttle after popping it in gear it sounds...
W

M

mrcrabs

Re: Semi basket case: '75 Sea King 7.5HP

you really ned to find somebody who's savy with old outboards JimJ, these are simple matters but not for the simple mind ;) However I do feel your pain but I just can't reach you.

Mrcrabs

jim j geezer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

All fixed and running well throughout full throttle range. Points had been set to ~.030 - now at .020.

Sorry about the butchering of my opening post here. It seems the interweb gods are conspiring against me. I have a radio link to my ISP and bad/rainy weather plays havoc. Yesterday I tried to do some editing. Added some stuff. Alas, the server must've timed out before it all 'took'.

The problems - now fixed:
1. dirty carb & fuel pump
2. the throttle butterfly post was loose/bent away from the stator plate
3. blocked quick-connect fuel fitting
4. reversed vac & fuel lined to pump
5. broken/too short rewind rope
6. plug wire pulled loose from coil
7. points gap mis-set

remaining questions:
1. Does this outboard use a water pump?
2. Since I find no evidence of either vent or fill holes, am I correct in assuming that the procedure for filling the lower unit is to invert the outboard and remove the bottom cap to the lower unit?

'75 Sea King 7.5HP lower unit 001.jpg'75 Sea King 7.5HP lower unit 002.jpg

M

mrcrabs

I just wanted to see if you were awake ...yer a gudin jim

M

mrcrabs

I see water inlet holes there below the cavitation plate, I don't see a water pickup tube and I really don't know of a outboard above 3.4-4hp that wouldn't use a pump..

don't mean to jack your thread but I was just exploring the mysteries of China...seems you can send over your impeller spec. and get 20 pieces built for pennys on the dollar:rolleyes: I need a nice friendy Chinaman to get into business with...lol

jim j geezer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Follow-up & close out.......... almost.
Plopped that dude onto my test tank and learned that it pumps water just fine. The only remaining issue is what to do about lower unit lube. The thought crossed my mind that maybe... if I removed the prop, fill and vent screws might materialize.
And monkeys might fly outta my a**.

I'm gonna hafta turn this thing upside down to service the lower unit, aren't I?
*sigh*

M

mrcrabs

this may be corporate monky business to my way of thinking when it comes to MW's and the big S indeed, but if Monkeys fly out of your A**. it will kill yeah Jim:eek:...drink a half a bottle of cold presssed OV just before...please:mad:

prop looks OMC J/E

jim j geezer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Rubbed up against some serendipity @ ebay. Found a lower leg like mine for sale and asked about lower unit lube. Seems this model gets it's gears packed with grease, rather than 90W.
Whodathunkit?

OV? <--whatsat?

M

mrcrabs

A Old salt aka as Don W. explained to me that marine wheel bearing grease, the kind you use on your boat trailer bearings?? was the way to go

M

mrcrabs

Along time ago I read that Eska had ther lower units cast in Czechoslovakia