Selling/trading a Glas-par

onewing

Cadet
Hey Guys:D
I am a fairly new boat owner here in Montana. I bought a 1961 14 foot Glass-par that is in really good shape. I have taken it out a few times with my wife and 14 yr. old son and I have found out that it is good for just running around but when it comes to pulling anything or anyone with the vintage Big Twin motor its just not possible.:mad: although it runs really well and strong. So I wanted to ask advice from others who have spent time around boats and know things about them since I dont
I was wondering what type of boat would be right to own here in Montana where you only have it out for 5 months out of the year (the rest of the year its below zero at times)and then you have to store it . I would like to have something that is easy to load/unload as I am disabled (with only one arm) , I would really like to trade the boat i have for a larger one.I dont want to pay a fortune but want someting thats safe and easy to handle. So what type should I look for?Would it be worth my time to try and trade the Glas-par for a bigger boat?Is it considered a classic or whats it worth? Its in great shape,recently restored with a ez load trailer and taken care of very well.Is there any advice that you all could give me? I would really appreciate wht ever advice you all could help me with.
Thank you and I will wait for words of wisdom...Onewing:)

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Selling/trading a Glas-par

If you really love boating you should get a little bigger one. Sea Ray is a very popular boat and there are a lot of good used ones out there. When we were younger and towed boats I installed my own electric winch on my trailer and it made my life a lot easier.

If you go with an outboard you won't have to worry about winterizing lika an inboard, something to consider.
Try putting an ad in the local paper to sell your boat.
Good luck.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Really hard to say what your Glasspar is worth in your market. Other parts of the country it could be worth quite a bit depending on condition.

As for a new replacement I would suggest looking for an older 16-19' aluminum outboard. Such as the Starcrafts, Sylvans, Smokercraft, Lund and Alumacraft. There were thousands of these produced. They are all good solid designs. Much lighter than a compareable glass hull. A bit easier to maintain and the worries about wood rot decreases tremendously. Biggest draw back, they ride a little rougher in choppy water.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

As for a new replacement I would suggest looking for an older 16-19' aluminum outboard. Such as the Starcrafts, Sylvans, Smokercraft, Lund and Alumacraft. There were thousands of these produced. They are all good solid designs. Much lighter than a compareable glass hull. A bit easier to maintain and the worries about wood rot decreases tremendously. Biggest draw back, they ride a little rougher in choppy water.

Agree completely. You won't find an easier boat to own.

Here's a nice example of a 16' Starcraft SS
imag0446.jpg