Selling my boat :(

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander
I have been throwing around the idea of selling my Starcraft Islander for a while. I think someone is coming to buy it today. I'm really torn up about this. I bought this boat new in 2011 and its been my baby. And I had a lot of plans. But my crew (two sons) have become young men and one is in the military now, so I have no crew. Last summer it was mostly me on this 22.5 foot boat.
This boat and I had a bit of a rocky start, but Star Craft made everything good and its been nothing but good times. But times have changed. Big boats are big work also and without help to wash and cover it has become a bit of a chore for a one man operation.
Maybe in the future I will buy a smaller 17 footer for fishing. But this big boat and the dreams of overnighters on the lake appear to be over.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Mine is 33' oal and I'm in the same boat so to speak... No crew on a big boat sure feels silly.

cptrick3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I went from a 33' to 28' and now a 24' boat. Even the grandkids have other interest now. I like having a head, stove, fridge etc. Be hard to get much smaller.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Maybe when the grandkids come along, you will need another boat for them. Families have those up and down situations but it changes and you never know what will happen later on in life...

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I followed you trials and tribulations when you first got the Islander. You went through a lot to get the warranty issues taken care of. The last year of the Islander, too.

Sorry she has to go, but you had some fun on her.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander
I followed you trials and tribulations when you first got the Islander. You went through a lot to get the warranty issues taken care of. The last year of the Islander, too.

Sorry she has to go, but you had some fun on her.

Yes I had some great times. And the cuddy was a great thing to have when my little girl was along. No more trips to shore to use the washroom for her or my wife.
Kind of sad.
I am thinking of buying a smaller used aluminum fishing boat in the future. I like boating and if I am going to be by myself a smaller boat is easier to launch and retrieve. And it will seem less silly than one guy cruising around on a large boat.
I wish I had bought this boat 10 years earlier when my sons were around 10. It kind of suck getting old but I am turning 50 this year.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Your turning 50 this year? Well then damn, you are just beginning to live! I have had far more fun since I turned 50, then I did before!!!!

:D

Sorry to hear you are thinking about selling, I have been following your story for a while now.

oldjeep

Admiral
Keep the boat, buy a dog and go fishing. 18ft isn't really any easier to launch than a 23ft.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Yes I had some great times. And the cuddy was a great thing to have when my little girl was along. No more trips to shore to use the washroom for her or my wife.
Kind of sad.
I am thinking of buying a smaller used aluminum fishing boat in the future. I like boating and if I am going to be by myself a smaller boat is easier to launch and retrieve. And it will seem less silly than one guy cruising around on a large boat.
I wish I had bought this boat 10 years earlier when my sons were around 10. It kind of suck getting old but I am turning 50 this year.

50...I thought you were talking about getting old. 50 isn't old, it is just the start of middle age. I suggest you find a fishing partner and keep the boat and happy boating. There are always folks that want to go fishing in any neighborhood. :thumb:

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander
She is gone.
I hope the new owner enjoys her. I am looking at this like its the start of another adventure.
Who knows what is in the future. But it will be smaller, and I want a bimini top.
The young artillery soldier in the pic is about 5'10" to give you an idea of how much the wind can affect a boat with this much side area when launching and retrieving by yourself. I will miss this boat. I always wanted one and I guess I need to find out what I need now.
I like the looks of a Boston Whaler. But I'm not sure what sizes are available.
Last pics of my now gone friend.

bassman284

Commander
50...I thought you were talking about getting old. 50 isn't old, it is just the start of middle age. I suggest you find a fishing partner and keep the boat and happy boating. There are always folks that want to go fishing in any neighborhood. :thumb:
Ha ha yeah 50 isn't really very old. I was 50 about 20 years ago. When you're 70, a day out on the boat can cause some serious gimp. I hate to think what it's going to be like when I'm 80.

r.j.dawg

Ensign
Oh man, I remember when you first bought her. So sorry to hear she is gone. But I can understand your reasons.I'm selling our Carver right now. Different reason, but a stroke put me out of commission a few months ago. The Admiral can't handle the boat on her own, so, it's back to a smaller boat. Looking at a Legend 20.

Oh, and being 50, Jeez, I turn 60 in two months. You're just getting into the good life.

Last edited: