Selling my boat in Illinois - not sure what to do

danniemac

Recruit
Hello community! I'm new here so forgive me if i have not posted in the right spot and just direct me.

I have an 89 Celebrity. Good boat, only 237 hours (been in storage for years) but am selling it so that we can save up for a new boat. I'm selling it myself and live in Illinois. I've never sold anything before so not sure what i might have to do, who to notify, etc... Anyone in IL sell their boat themselves that can give me some guidance?

Thanks!

TimBobCom

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Selling my boat in Illinois - not sure what to do

I bought my boat from an Illinois seller a couple years ago. All she had to do was sign the back of the titles for both the boat and the trailer to indicate that she was transferring ownership to me.

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

All you need to do is MAKE SURE you have clear titles for both the boat and trailer. Only sign the back of each when you have buyers money in your hand. Once sold , keep trailer plate, it is registered to you not the trailer ( just like with cars). If an Illinois buyer, taxes are theirs.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Detailed bills of sale for the boat, trailer, and motor if its an outboard.
Include description, serial and model numbers, price, date, signatures of both the buyer and seller. I like to add their address, phone number, and tow vehicle license plate number.

Make 2 copies, keep one copy for yourself.

The best place to sell now is craigslist.

ebay is not working for boats these days, and fees are high.

Get her cleaned up and running.
Set a reasonable price.

lkbum

Chief Petty Officer

Be careful of scammers when selling anything of value these days. Fake Certified checks are common, most sellers today do cash transers at a bank before signing anything over. See this link to craigs list scams and advice http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Also, on the bill of sale make sure to state ( in capital letters if you have to) the the sale is " as is and shown with no warranties or guarantees express or implied" this protects you should the buyer come up with any excuse to try and get their money back.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Yes, 2 copies of bill of sale with name, address and signitures. State of Illinois once came after me for a car I sold and was later abandoned and never registared to the buyer. I didn't keep a copy for myself and it ended up costing me tickets, towing and storage to the city of Chicago! Much more than what I received for the car.

danniemac

Recruit

Thank you everyone - this is great help.

I have listed the boat on both Craigslist and ebay but using ebay classifieds as it is free and no bidding etc.. Also - cash is king with me. I heard about the fake cashiers checks and said if you can take $$ to a bank to get a cahiers check you can just as easy bring me the cash. Unless it is done at the bank or my local bank it is cash only :D

The boat itself is great except after 20+ years the floor has gone very soft in some areas. My husband was going to replace it himself as he is pretty handy but we never got the time so i'm selling it as is and letting people know about the floor. I've found great blogs and posts here about people re-doing the floor and have directed people who have inquired about it to this site. If it doesn't go this week then i think my hubby might just do the floor but then the price is going to go up!

Thanks again for all your answers!

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

Check with your local DMV office or online.
They might have a form you fill out upon sale that gets filed with the DMV.
Which officially removes you as the registered owner and lets the state know who bought it when.
Remove the registration numbers and decal from the hull also.

riverkeg

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Remove the registration numbers and decal from the hull also.

Don't remove the registration numbers and decal from the boat. If the buyer is from Illlinois, those transfer to the new owner and you will save them some hassle. Just sign the DNR boat title and the Illinois Secretary of State trailer title over to the new owner. If you want to write a bill of sale and make copies, that is fine. All I've ever done is make copies of the titles as signed by the seller and buyer. This also puts the responsibility of the buyer to register the boat and trailer within the specified time limit required by their state.

Casey Smith

Recruit

Found this thread as I'm also getting ready to sell for the first time. Where is the buyer supposed to sign on an Illinois Watercraft Title? I see where I'm supposed to sign and fill in their name and address but I don't see a specific spot for the buyer's signature.

Thanks,
Casey

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I bought a boat in Il a few years ago.

I don't believe the buyer signs the title, just fills in their name and other info.

Make sure they fill it in, and pay, before you sign off.

The buyer will sign the forms when they apply for a new title in their name.

Casey Smith

Recruit

Thanks much folks.... very helpful.

Cheers--
Casey

jimbo_jwc

Ship Happens

Take title to notary sign in their presence keep recip as the new owner might not get title transfered making you liable for anything that occures after the actual sale !

freddyray21

Commander

Take title to notary sign in their presence keep recip as the new owner might not get title transfered making you liable for anything that occures after the actual sale !

notary is not required, but it is a good idea to fill in the buyer's information. In fact it is the law as to sign and not fill it in is what is called an open title and that is illegal.

mpdive

Chief Petty Officer

I bought my boat from an Illinois seller a couple years ago. All she had to do was sign the back of the titles for both the boat and the trailer to indicate that she was transferring ownership to me.

Like your Regal!