Sell or Trade?

OxMo

Cadet
Too sell it, or trade it in, that is our question. I have a few folks interested in buying our two year old, 16' pontoon boat. It's small (6' beam) and it's what they like. Used boat evaluations, including my credit union, puts the value right at $7,000, including trailer and 25hp Merc (2 Strk). Having a buyer does look tempting. However, if anyone out there knows, do boat dealers, knowing they will profit from a traded boat, have more negotiating room for the boat being purchased? I am aware of the sales tax situation -- that could amout to about $250-$300 for us. Not sure it is a deal maker -- if selling it out-right means more money to take to the deal. So, bottom line: Do dealers see a trade as making it possible to either throw in some goodies, or simply lower the price of the boat being bought?

Also, I have an on-board charging unit, two batteries and a really nice trolling motor - originally bought for a larger boat. What can I expect the dealer to charge for swapping them for me? Or, do they often do it as part of the deal?

dimock44

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Sell or Trade?

This is a good time of the year to work a deal and I think it all depends on how fast you can talk. And alot of other factors like is the boat going to sit on the dealers lot all winter. Where your located, used boat market ect. It's been my experince that most dealer won't give near what you can get selling private. Best deal is to go ask. Good luck

tommays

Admiral

Every deal is different ;)

When i bought my J-24 in 1982 it was a funny color Tan with a Green boot stripe NOBODY liked it but me and it sat a LONG time

I got a GREAT trade on my other sailboat because they wanted it GONE :D

Now my current 19' 13 year old powerboat would NOT do well on a trade compared to a private sale

BUT everything i ever thought about private sales has been ? because of this

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=207127

Tommays

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Dealers buy wholesale and sell retail. While a private owner cannot compete with a dealer at the retail level, they can do better than wholesale when selling something like a boat or car. You can make a better deal buying outright than trying to trade something. I would not worry about the previous post dealing with a boat that was sold and then damaged. Private sales are "sold as is - where is" and that should be stated on a bill of sale. Incentives or discounts on the new item may not be available if you trade. You essentially pocket the difference between wholesale and private sale value. On high ticket items sales tax can obviously be a factor but it generally is still better to buy outright -- unless of course you are hell bent on paying sticker price.