self evaluations

dhud64

Petty Officer 1st Class
As a fairly new supervisor I have heard of self evaluations, but don't know the details. Anyone have any knowledge of this type of performance rating???

ob

Admiral
Re: self evaluations

Not any details,but off hand I would call it "job security." :D Wife has done it at her work as a department supervisor.She says it was just a portion of the evaluation processs.Answered a series of questions about her rating period accomplishments and or failures and if she felt that there was anything she could do to improve job efficiency if needed.Those types of questions.

NathanY

Commander

Lord its hard to be humble<br />When your perfect in every way.... :D

Triton II

Commander

Generally you are asked to compare your performance in the various tasks you have in your job description with an ideal employee. The idea is to recognise your strengths and weaknesses so you can work efffectively within the role. You may also be asked to assess yourself in more general terms, i.e you could be asked how honest you would be in a given situation. <br />My experience is that lazy bosses tend to be more prone to having their subordinates fill in their own performance ratings as often people are brutally honest when it comes to self assessment.<br />Here in Australia it is not overly common, the bigger corporations tend to use good old "tick sheets", but it can give you a good insight into yourself and your self worth. My advice (I was an officer in the military for 13 years and had to do a lot of performance assessments) is to be honest about your capabilities but hint that you take pride in your achievements and set yourself goals for self improvement. Good luck.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I used that approach long before it became popular.<br /><br />The whole procedure starts with the employee measuring himself(herself) against what (s)he believed was expected.<br /><br />The appraisal interview involves discussion of those evaluations between employee and supervisor, and includes agreement on expectations for the next period.<br /><br />If I disagreed with the employee's self evaluation the chances were about 50-50 that I had done a bad job of communicatng expectations. Those things need to be fairly treated or leadership has failed.<br /><br />Employees have a right to know, at all times, how their performance is viewed by management. No surprises at "evaluation time".<br /><br />Of course, that was in the days when employees were viewed as company assets. Not very often the case today.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

"Meets expectations" is the crappiest ever evaluation.<br /><br />So subjective. One person expected the guy to show up every 8 hours a day, the other guy expected him to work there 24/7. Who is right?<br /><br />I had arguments over that with my boss when I was gauged to "meet expectations". In my job, I was in no position to "save the world", I did my job to the best of my ability and did a great job and never cause any downtime. That was my expectation as well as the evaluater.<br /><br />But my "met expectations" was gauged as "not good enough".<br /><br />Ken

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Ken, you obviously weren't trying hard enough, you needed more cowbell. I see you have that figured out now. I'm sure your future reviews will reflect your increase in cowbell. Heck, you might even get a bonus.

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by Nate in AR:<br /> Lord its hard to be humble<br />When your perfect in every way.... :D
Uh oh.... here comes the lightning bolts! :D

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I'd do everyone a dis service if I dint play the heck out of this cowbell. :D <br /><br />Sorry, just hit a soft spot for me. If I was a manger, and my workers didnt meet my expectations, they would be unemployed.<br /><br />Ken

Carphunter

Commander

I agree, during any self-evaluation, one must reflect on the progress made throughout the year, and did you really get enough cowbell.<br /><br />......because for me, you can never get enough cowbell. ;)

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

I have done this at my office for years. I have the standard evaluation form I have to use for each employee, both on the road in the jail and in communications. I give every employee a packet of evaluations to do. One for each of their co workers including me and the boss, and one for themselves. I then do my own as supervisor. I read everyones evaluation they have done anonomously on their co workers, give each employee and average score. I then meet with each one discussing what mine contains, what theirs contain, and what their co workers think of them. The first time it was very tense, but once everyone saw it was a tool to use they love it. It has proven to be very productive, and has helped a lot in setting up training events.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I really like that system, DD.<br /><br />I wonder how many "domestic" problems could be solved by open communications like that.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

My system of self-evalutation is to grab a rod and the dog and "ride-on-out". This evaluation takes between 20minutes and 4 hours, depending upon how messed-up I am. I talk to God a lot also (naturally).<br />After this past week, I'm about due :rolleyes:

Triton II

Commander

If I had to self assess myself in regards to piscatorial pursuits it'd have to be: "sets himself low standards and constantly fails to met them!" :(

ebbtide176

Commander

yes, we've had to do them for 5-6yrs now. i think they are the pits. i think they could be helpful, like DD listed, but in my big corp world, its just an excuse for distant mgrs that have no idea of what their emply's real capabilities are. and once i found out that it really only provides them something to debate with over a pitiful reward - i just became as worthy as everyone else, and fit right in. :) <br /><br />i think its mainly to caress the image that the co is up-with-the-latest techniques on human resource dept procedures.<br /><br />but then, we only do them on ourselves and then hear what the end result is - what the mgr gives us. if we also did the peer evals + mgr evals i would be more likely to think it actually accomplishes something.<br /><br />maybe i should put "I AM the greatest" on every line this time around to see if anyone notices...<br /> :D

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I am convinced 90% of the crap I do in the corportate world is used to mangers to stare at and say "that is interesting", then it ends up in the trash.<br /><br />Nothing ever changes, even after the great new forms are made for us to fill out.<br /><br />We now have to document every minute on what we do, which project, paperwork, training, cleanup, etc (Primavera time management). Suprised they dont have a time slot for the bathroom time.<br /><br />In the end NOTHING is different except we fill out the times, the mangers get them, and they say, your spending your time doing this. All they had to do was ask me, and we could have skipped the whole stupid timewasting thing.<br /><br />But I have to admit, pie charts make for great meetings.<br /><br />Ken