Self bailer plugs

mrhelper

Cadet
I'm afraid I'm terribly new to boats, so this may be an incredibly naive question... But lacking a manual, I need to ask it.

My 1999 Futura MkIIC has a couple of plugs at the bottom of the transom, which I assume are the self-bailer openings. I was under the impression that they were one-way valves - allowing water out of the boat, but not in. Acting on that assumption, I removed them before heading out on my maiden voyage this evening.

Before even hopping in the boat, I noticed a fair amount of water had entered the boat. So I replugged them and put up with the water while I continued on with my trip (which amounted to just puttering around breaking in the new motor).

Did I do something really stupid, or might there be something wrong with the self bailers?

Vlads Quiff

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Self bailer plugs

New to it all myself, but I think, the self bailer will only work when you get some speed up, when there is negative pressure at the stern.
I am sure I will be corrected if not d:)

regards

ZodFutMk2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I tied my rubber plugs to two nylon cords and they've dangled above the fuel tank for seven years now.

The plugs are never used in my boat. I take on some water when I trailer it into the lake and the minute that I get up on plane all of the water is sucked out.

Vlads is correct that you must be moving forward with speed for the suction to take effect.

Most important thing is to make sure that there is no debris in the valves. They're thin rubber and flex very easily.

I've never noticed water intake when running in reverse.

Enjoy the toy!

mrhelper

Cadet

Thanks to the both of you for the input. I really appreciate it. I will check the valves for crud. Haven't peeked into them with a flashlight yet...