seized prop, stuck on prop shaft!!!

OverLabyss

Recruit
over the winter i bought a 1967 Mercury 500 outboard to put on my 1966 Lonestar. i need to put new seals and gaskets into the lower unit but the prop is not coming off the shaft. I've let it soak for a few weeks in various fluids (PB blaster, Diesel, & acetone/ATF mix) and it still wont budge. I also heated the prop shaft up lightly with a propane torch.
Any suggestions on removing it without completely destroying the prop since its an 11 spline hub?

[size=8pt]ไฮไลท์บอล[/size]

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you can try a puller

however if the prop is corroded on, usually cutting it off is the only recourse.

there is a reason its recommended to pull the prop every year and grease the splines.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
First pry gently with a 2X4 between the gearcase and the prop blades. Make sure to rotate the prop and pry against all blades. If that doesn't remove it, a puller is next.

If that doesn't work, you will need to cut the prop body off, cut and tear off the rubber hub and then cut, chistle and crack off the brass hub.

ahicks

Captain
When/if it gets to the chiseling part, I would drill a series of 1/8" holes along a line where you want it to crack. Not necessarily all the way through, but close. That can save a LOT of pounding....

ahenseda

Recruit
Did you get it off? I am dealing with the same problem and that sucker is solid. Im hoping not to cut the prop. I did the same things you did at first and noe is soaking on oil just to see what happens. Then I found this online and it seems like a dejavu!!! Mine is a Mercury 75 hp stroke with a stainless steel prop.