Seeking marine gauge recommendations

bikerider

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 16 ft Bluewater that has mis-matched speedometer and tachometer gauges. The tachometer is connected and working fine, the speedometer has never been hooked up. The speedometer I currently have requires a pick up mounted on the transom. I would like to skip that and get a gps speedometer instead. At the minimum I want to replace the current speedometer with a gps unit but I am open to getting a new tachometer as well to have a matching set. I have no idea what brand marine gauges are any good. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Obviously the simplest approach is to try to get a speedo that matches your tacho. Barring that, find a gauge style and brand that you like that has both gauges. I have never found any real difference between the brands.

You might consider a water pressure gauge for your outboard. Those are real good at monitoring the cooling of the motor.

bikerider

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Obviously the simplest approach is to try to get a speedo that matches your tacho. Barring that, find a gauge style and brand that you like that has both gauges. I have never found any real difference between the brands.

You might consider a water pressure gauge for your outboard. Those are real good at monitoring the cooling of the motor.
I think I will. The boat is a 1981 and I don't think the gauges are original but are probably a similar vintage. I've never heard of a water pressure gauge but that sounds like a good thing to have. Does it kind of monitor the wear of the water pump impeller as well?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The water pressure gauge can indicate the condition of the impeller. If pressure drops over time at the same RPM, it indicates the impeller is wearing out.