Security cameras- anyone use them?

df909

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey Guys-

We have a few dirtbags on my street & people that live across the street sit in their dark garage and drink beer/smoke weed many times a week. We've also had our house broken into & others on my street have had their vehicles broken into.

Because of this, I'm thinking about installing day/night security cameras to watch the front, back, & sides on my place. Do any of you have any experiences with security cameras? Such as...what works well or what doesn't work so well, a good brand, and any other tips? Last, I'd rather not spend 4 months of pay on the system too.

By the way, for those of you that say I should move, you're right. We can't wait to move but since we're upside down on our house we stuck for a while. Hmmm...anyone want to buy a place near L.A.? It's got a big yard, remodeled 3 years ago, and a great neighborhood.

Thanks guys.

float2

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Security cameras- anyone use them?

Not to handy with cameras but you could install a nice bright floodlight and aim it across the the street at them.

Bondo

Staff member

Do any of you have any experiences with security cameras?

Ayuh,... Very different circumstances, But,...
In My case, setting up fake cameras fixed My issues...

I put up the fake cameras where they were Very Obvious,...
So far, just the sight of 'em has been enough to stop the person, or persons who were rippin' me off....

waterinthefuel

Commander

Hey Guys-

We have a few dirtbags on my street & people that live across the street sit in their dark garage and drink beer/smoke weed many times a week. We've also had our house broken into & others on my street have had their vehicles broken into.

Because of this, I'm thinking about installing day/night security cameras to watch the front, back, & sides on my place. Do any of you have any experiences with security cameras? Such as...what works well or what doesn't work so well, a good brand, and any other tips? Last, I'd rather not spend 4 months of pay on the system too.

By the way, for those of you that say I should move, you're right. We can't wait to move but since we're upside down on our house we stuck for a while. Hmmm...anyone want to buy a place near L.A.? It's got a big yard, remodeled 3 years ago, and a great neighborhood.

Thanks guys.

I actually did a lot of research on home security camera systems after my parents had some vandalism at their home.

These are some things to look for in a system, or consider if you want these options:

1. Night vision cameras- these cameras use LED's to make infared light so the cameras can see at night. They are, however, only good out to about 30 feet or so. They are not night vision like you see in the military. Note: You will see some of the cheaper systems advertised with "low light" cameras. These ARE NOT zero light/night vision cameras. In absolute darkness they will see absolutely nothing. Don't confuse the two. Night vision cameras are referred to as such.

2. DVR capability- most of the higher end ones have this. It will record all video from all cameras for a period of time, usually a couple of weeks, more on the much higher end systems.

3. Remote access- some of them offer you the ability to tie into the system and watch any camera remotely, via the internet. This is a cool feature, and some even offer you an ap for your iphone. Obviously being able to watch your house when you are on the road is a huge piece-of-mind builder.

4. Pan/zoom cameras- you'll have to pay a bit more for this feature, but if you have pan/zoom, you can program the camera to sweep a larger area than just staying in one location.

5. Using an existing computer as the DVR- some will let you tie all the cameras into your computer, using it as the DVR instead of a dedicated DVR box. This has its advantages and drawbacks, the decision is up to you.

6. Motion activation- this prevents your DVR from filling up with useless video of nothing happening. Most of the systems have this feature, especially the ones with DVR capability. As soon as the camera detects motion, it begins recording. This can VASTLY increase the recording time of your DVR.

7. Battery backup- this feature is for when the electricity goes out, or when an intruder kills the power to your home before breaking in. Since most robberies occur in dark homes, a home with the electricity out is a prime target. The battery backup can keep your home protected, at least with the "eye in the sky" for a certain period of time. Like any battery backup though, it doesn't last forever.

8. Color vs black and white- this choice is up to you. You pay more for color. It's all up to you how much you want to spend.

If you want a decent system, with 4 night vision cameras, 250gig DVR (about 10 days of recording) and remote access capability then you're going to pay 300-400 dollars. You might need extra wire if your house is really spread out and large, which might run you 30 bucks or so. Other than that, there is no cost to operate these systems other than the electricity to run them. If you want any of the other features I have mentioned, you will spend more, up to a grand for a really nice system.

But for the basics of a good system that will last and will provide you security, 350 to 400 should definitely get the job done. And when you move, you can take the system with you to your new home. No reason it can't go with you when you go.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

.....In My case, setting up fake cameras fixed My issues.......

Aah! You sly devil, you!

I have a different slant though. I'd like to be able to see who is sneaking around my property. I know it is being canvassed regularly. If I happen to leave a car unlocked, which unfortunately I have several times, chances are good that something will be missing.

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade

may not help but have you looked at the trail cameras they sell in hunting stores? Take stills when there is motion.

df909

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hmm...I can swing $300-400 for a system. Cheaper than building a crow's nest with a .50 cal. We do have a couple of security lights, but I never thought about installing another one aimed at their place- I like that idea.

I like the idea of recording so I can back things up and see what's been going on at night while I'm sleeping (hopefully I don't see my kids sneaking out).

Thanks for all the info waterinthefuel, there's a place about 30 minutes away that sells everything you mentioned.

Bondo

Staff member

Aah! You sly devil, you!

I have a different slant though. I'd like to be able to see who is sneaking around my property. I know it is being canvassed regularly. If I happen to leave a car unlocked, which unfortunately I have several times, chances are good that something will be missing.

Ayuh,... Trip wires, 'n Flash/bang powder,....

You'll find the corpses come mornin'......:D

DaNinja

Lieutenant

Hmm...I can swing $300-400 for a system. Cheaper than building a crow's nest with a .50 cal. We do have a couple of security lights, but I never thought about installing another one aimed at their place- I like that idea.

I like the idea of recording so I can back things up and see what's been going on at night while I'm sleeping (hopefully I don't see my kids sneaking out).

Thanks for all the info waterinthefuel, there's a place about 30 minutes away that sells everything you mentioned.
That was a great post from Waterinthefuel! We're in the market for an alarm & video system. We've had three broad daylight home breakins within a block of the Texas place in the past six months. Two of them actually had witnesses but the police weren't called until after the fact.

xxxflhrci

Chief Petty Officer

About 5 years ago, one of our cars got keyed twice. I put up 8 motion flood lights. I also bought an el cheapo Wisecomm brand security camera. I can set it to record to my computers hard drive. I can set it to record up to so much space, then stop or have it record up to so much space then re-write over the old footage. I used it on my computer for a while. After the problem went away, I hooked it up to my TV. I can change inputs with my remote and see what's going on outside without ever getting out of my chair. The camera does have LED night vision, but it is only good for a 25 feet or so. Anyway, like I said it was el cheapo...I think about 120 bucks retail. I bought it NIB off of eBay for 65 bucks. After 5 years, it is still working.

df909

Petty Officer 1st Class

Trip wires... where can I get some claymore mines?

waterinthefuel

Commander

There is another option I forgot, wired or wireless. If running wires is too difficult or impossible due to camera locations, etc, you can go the wireless route. This will double or triple the cost of the system though. I would avoid it at all costs if possible.

Another is the number of cameras in the system. Common numbers are 2 4 and 6. You can get 16 camera systems for businesses, etc though.

And the last is whether or not you want to have a monitor come with the package or use your own. Obviously using their monitor ups the cost.

I hope the information I have provided you will help you. If that local store can't get you a good system for under 500, let me know. I will point you to some websites that can. Looks like the prices have gone up a lot since I did my research, they're more like 500 dollars, not 400 anymore.

If I were to get one, this is what I'd get. This is a very nice system. I've just done a good bit of research to save you time. If you want a 4 camera system, this one rocks.

http://www.123securityproducts.com/4evlir500.html

puddle jumper

Captain

may not help but have you looked at the trail cameras they sell in hunting stores? Take stills when there is motion.

Thats what i did and was amazed what was going on in the front yard when I was at work.

df909

Petty Officer 1st Class

What was going on in the front yard??? Any good pics of it?

float2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Waterinthefuel, great post! Sounds like you know your chit.

j_martin

Admiral

I've installed several, from 1 to 18 cameras. I use Geovision gear and software, either stand alone video servers with all the features that Water pitched about, or expensive cards in high end video workstations, which act as the server to whoever has the watch, anywhere he is.

puddle jumper

Captain

What was going on in the front yard??? Any good pics of it?

Every thing from the dog next door on my lawn to people coming in the yard to smell my wife's flowers. From one guy standing about 6 feet away from the camera just looking at it.

Last edited:

waterinthefuel

Commander

Every thing from the dog next door on my lawn to people coming in the yard to smell my wife's flowers. From one guy standing about 6 feet away from the camera just looking at it.

Man, you live in a rough neighborhood! LOL

Fly Rod

Commander

Take a 3/12 electrical cord, snip off female wires, attach to vechicle, plug into wall outlet, do not tell anyone, before daylight pull cord back into house/ garage, you should find the person or persons lying there in the morning.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Take a 3/12 electrical cord, snip off female wires, attach to vechicle, plug into wall outlet, do not tell anyone, before daylight pull cord back into house/ garage, you should find the person or persons lying there in the morning.

I let my son do some work to a my van. Of course kids usually forget something. He had a trouble light in the engine compartment. He changed the plug and wires for me. Left the light with the cord against the exhaust manifold. Next morning I noticed the gas cap was ajar. Not off, but loose. I grabbed it to tighten it back up and got a nice jolt. Apparently someone tried to get the gas out of it that night. I had been having problems with gas being stolen. Not anymore at that residence. I unplugged the trouble light as I noticed it was still powered. That is when I noticed why I got shocked. The hot wire came in contact with the manifold. However I cannot recommend this as this was just by luck that it happened.

I put in a system at my new house. Cheap black and white. About a year later the monitor went out and then the system was useless. However, I haven't had anymore problems. The cameras I left up and seems to work. One could even notice that the cords are just hanging where they would enter the house. :D

Last edited: