Second thoughts on floor install

mercrewser

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am reinstalling a floor in my 1969 Chris Craft. It has a very small cockpit, there is not much floor space. My floor was originally not covered in glass, and it lasted 37 years. The bottom side was only painted, it had no resin coating. The top did have a resin coating. There was only a few areas of rot, and this boat had been abandoned, uncovered for 10 years. I thought interior grade ply, with a few coats of epoxy would be fine. Now I'm thinking twice. I have put alot of work into this so far, and I dont want to do this again. I originally figured that since there is not much floor area as it is, and since I was using a good vinyl flooring, I could leave out the glass. Would I be stupid to keep going this way, with out adding a layer of glass? This boat is driving me nuts, I have to walk away for awhile. I need some reassurance. What would glassing add? The floor is very sturdy as it is, and I was going to install Nautolex flooring very soon, till I had second thoughts. 2 coats of epoxy have already been applied to both sides, I am using the West System.

dmarkvid2

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Second thoughts on floor install

Ya know Merc, I built an addition to my house awhile back. I was going to have someone do it for me, but after thinking about it, decided to do it myself. What gave me the satisfaction of doing it myself was that I put in "that extra nail", and added "just abit more wall insulation". I guess I'm saying that if you have the chance to add that little "extra" That someone else might skimp on, You'll have that knowlege in your mind that that it was done the best way possible. If you add the glass its just that one EXTRA NAIL to give you that more secure feeling. In other words,,, glassing the deck won't hurt, and will only help it. I'm like you, restoring a 20' Forester Cuddy, and I'm being so picky, that I have to walk away from it once in a while too. But I know,, once done,, it will be in perfect shape. DO IT!!

woody20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Its not the little extras, but also the picture taking and beer drinking you get to do with your buddies, while you take your boat apart. Then get to enjoy it next summer and know you did the work and! all the hard work, knowing it will out live you, and some day your kids could be out on the boat not knowing what thier dad did for them a long time ago. Only to know that the boat is a great boat, so that their kids can enjoy it while they grow up. <br /><br />I now have my father in laws 1979 starcraft, with 20hp evinrude on the back that still runs like it just came out of the boat show room floor. It might not work pretty, but out lasted every boat on the street because he took care of it.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

it's like mowing the yard, you don't just half gr ***.