Seaworthy Bowrider = Dual Console

Offroader

Cadet
I'm interested in a 21-23' NON FISHING Dual Console with all the amenities of a bowrider for family, open water coastal cruising, waterskiing but definitely not for fishing.

I also would like the possibility of installing an auxiliary, emergency outboard.

The closest I've found are Dual Consoles.

Is there a Non-Fishing Dual Console?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Seaworthy Bowrider = Dual Console

there are many out there. suggest a boat show. Bayliner 225

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I have a 21' SeaSwirl DC. It is set up for (softcore)fishing, since it has a livewell, and fish boxes. However, other than the livewell, the rest of the "fishing storage" may be used for "cruising storage".

I am sure you will find many models to suit your needs.

Offroader

Cadet

there are many out there. suggest a boat show. Bayliner 225

The bayliner 225 is a softcore bowrider, not suitable for rough seas due to its low freeboard and non self bailing design.

That's what I like about Dual Consoles, most of them have the higher freeboard, high scupperage of center consoles and walkarounds, besides having outboards available for 21-23', where most bowriders today only have sterndrives in that size range.

tashasdaddy

it seems we are talking about two different type boats. dual consoles the usually the ones with a dash on each side, center consoles are the single console in the center of the boat. are you speaking of dual Helm, that has 2 postions for controlling the boat?

Offroader

Cadet

it seems we are talking about two different type boats. dual consoles the usually the ones with a dash on each side, center consoles are the single console in the center of the boat. are you speaking of dual Helm, that has 2 postions for controlling the boat?

Dual Consoles are simply "beefed up" bowriders.

My problem is that all of them come loaded with fishing features that I don't need (livewell, etc...)

I need a Dual Console with the comfort, design and features of a Bowrider, without the fishing stuff.

The closest I've found are the Mako Dual Console and the HydraSports DC.

Any other option?

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

The "dual console" types are built only by fishing brands. So, by definition, they are all fishing type boats. None that I know of could be considered strictly non-fishing. Just ignore the fishing gear and have a fun time boating. That is what I did with my bass boat.

Kelly Cook

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

http://www.gradywhite.com/225/#
The live well is optional and the 2 fish boxes can be used for extra storage.

I run a GW W/A that's fully loaded for “fishing” that we use as a day cruiser as well. The only thing I do differently for cruising is to take the fore and aft seats cushions out of storage in the cabin and use them in the seats.

The large, lockable fish boxes come in handy for storing all the families “stuff” while leaving the cabin uncluttered for the kids to play or seek shelter should the need arise.

Even the live well gets used from time to time to house the kid’s catch of “marine critters” while they’re on board.

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer

http://www.iboats.com/Scout_Boats_222_dorado/nb/mo47923

I have always thought this was a nice looking boat. KCook hit the nail on the head that the Dual Console is the fishing boat manufacturers version of a bow rider. I also agree with the others that I dont think there is so many fishing options on them that I would consider them too much of a fishing boat.

Offroader

Cadet

http://www.gradywhite.com/225/#
The live well is optional and the 2 fish boxes can be used for extra storage.

I run a GW W/A that's fully loaded for ?fishing? that we use as a day cruiser as well. The only thing I do differently for cruising is to take the fore and aft seats cushions out of storage in the cabin and use them in the seats.

The large, lockable fish boxes come in handy for storing all the families ?stuff? while leaving the cabin uncluttered for the kids to play or seek shelter should the need arise.

Even the live well gets used from time to time to house the kid?s catch of ?marine critters? while they?re on board.

Thanks, that's definitely great advice.

Can you confirm that your grady white can handle rough weather/chop better than a mild bowrider?

What about a bracket-mounted auxiliary outboard in case of emergency?

QC

Supreme Mariner

Personally I like the Robalo 227 . . .
89827669_1.jpg

Great family boat. Also Trophy is supposed to announce a Dual-Console this year.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Thanks, that's definitely great advice.

Can you confirm that your grady white can handle rough weather/chop better than a mild bowrider?

What about a bracket-mounted auxiliary outboard in case of emergency?

I run a Walkaround that was designed for offshore use so it would be rather unfair to try and compare my boat to any type bowrider. I'd eat them up and spit them off the transom

The one thing I can tell you is the Grady uses the same hull on all their boats. You’ll have the same SeaV2 hull on that 225 dual console as you would on their offshore boats. If any bowrider can do the 225 will.

As far as the kicker is concerned I don’t bother with one. I use Seatow. In anything more than calm seas the kicker doesn’t have enough power and is pretty much useless

Offroader

Cadet

I use Seatow. In anything more than calm seas the kicker doesn?t have enough power and is pretty much useless

I live in a third world country. I have to be self sufficient.

Which kicker engine could I install on a Dual Console?

tashasdaddy

i agree run twin engines.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Finding a 19-22' boat that takes twins is going to be a problem. You're also faced with twice the price, twice the maintenance and twice the fuel. If reliability is foremost in your mind go with a diesel inboard and don't look back.

I fished on one of these a few weeks ago. We ran over 100 miles that day in the snot and the boat handled it well. We used a little over 30 gallons of fuel in the process so they are very fuel efficient as well.

http://www.shamrockboats.com/content.php?p=models/246/246_open/gallery.html&gallery=1

Offroader

Cadet

Finding a 19-22' boat that takes twins is going to be a problem. You're also faced with twice the price, twice the maintenance and twice the fuel. If reliability is foremost in your mind go with a diesel inboard and don't look back.

I fished on one of these a few weeks ago. We ran over 100 miles that day in the snot and the boat handled it well. We used a little over 30 gallons of fuel in the process so they are very fuel efficient as well.

http://www.shamrockboats.com/content.php?p=models/246/246_open/gallery.html&gallery=1

I'm all for Diesel reliability. I drive a TurboDiesel Toyota 4Runner SUV, and Yanmar engines are the highest rated in terms of reliability and low fuel consumption.

But I'm looking for a Dual Console / Bowrider for waterskiing and family cruising powered by an outboard.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Going to be hard to find a DC that has not got some kind of fishing features on/in it.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Also, Glacier Bay and World Cat make DCs that are focused on family/cruising too, but a Cat hull would suck for Watersports . . .

I am not sure what the issue is, Grady, Robalo, Scout etc. all make what you want. Get a goldfish for the livewell and now you have a pet on board . . .