Seaweed getting caught in prop

NubMuffin

Cadet
I've had this 9.9 hp tohatsu for awhile now, and seaweed keeps getting caught in the prop. Also, just a few strands of it can slow my engine down and make it sound like it's cavitating. I know that it isn't a huge deal, and that I can reverse the hell out of the weeds, but it freaks my girlfriend out when it starts making that cavitating noise. Is there any trick or piece of equipment that I can use to prevent seaweed from getting caught?

-thanks, Chris

btw, I live in Maine and it's the long thin seaweed that pisses me off

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Seaweed getting caught in prop

I've had this 9.9 hp tohatsu for awhile now, and seaweed keeps getting caught in the prop. Also, just a few strands of it can slow my engine down and make it sound like it's cavitating. I know that it isn't a huge deal, and that I can reverse the hell out of the weeds, but it freaks my girlfriend out when it starts making that cavitating noise. Is there any trick or piece of equipment that I can use to prevent seaweed from getting caught?

-thanks, Chris

Ayuh,.... There's a rather thick forest of coontail, 'n lillys just out of my slip, 'n 'bout 100 yards of the crap to plow through to get to open water, atleast this season anyways,...

A quick, Hard blast of Reverse is all it takes to clear the prop, 'n click into forward to be movin' again...

jestor68

Commander

Sharpen the leading edges(the cutting face) of your prop blades and it'll slice that stuff right off. :D

Wind dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't drive through the weeds.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Buy iPod for girlfriend so she can't hear the noise.

acarter92

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yea I hate that stuff, on my 70hp it won't get cought in the prop, but it does sometimes block my water intake for a few seconds before I stop. If I go through a patch I'll always look back to make sure it's still "pissing". But as stated above, a quick shot of reverse ends all the trouble.

Austin

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

it helps if she takes her top off when going through the thick patches

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer

-thanks, Chris

I boat in SW Florida, have twin 140's and have been shut down on more than one occasion by grass build up on my lower unit blocking the water intakes. I also lose my depth finder as grass builds on the transducer blocking the signal.

If you can get a realistic response to this problem I would appreciate it. as we all would who have this situation.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

There are props that are considered semi weedless. A ss prop might cut some weeds. You need to try to remember where the weeds are .
also if you must pass through the weeds try going the same path you may eventually eliminate enough to get through more easily.

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer

There are props that are considered semi weedless. A ss prop might cut some weeds. You need to try to remember where the weeds are .
also if you must pass through the weeds try going the same path you may eventually eliminate enough to get through more easily.
i don't know about the OP but I'm not mowing the grass. I have SS props and the grass I am talking about is floating on the surface and below and you can't avoid them as they are floating over large areas of the water forming a "Sargasso Sea" effect.

It is frowned upon, severely, here in Florida to damage the sea grass beds.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Tilt your motor all the way up and paddle, pole, or row through the grass beds.

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

years ago there was a product on the market called a Weed Shark .... it was a stainless blade that was epoxied to the side of the lower unit so that the blade just missed the turning front edges of the prop .... it did work pretty well for water lily type plants .... I tried a quick search but can't find it, the company may no longer be in business

Jim