seating options

njlarry

Petty Officer 1st Class
Greetings!<br />I am looking at several 190 Horizons. Never having a bowrider before, I am curious about the advantages of the Sport seating vs the traditional back to back. How do comfort and function of the different helm seats compare?<br />Any thoughts will be appreciated!

youmansjason

Seaman
Re: seating options

Hi, I own a 1997 Horizon RX. It is an 18' bowrider with the Sport Seating. When I first started looking for a boat, I thought I wanted the back to back style seats, but now that I own the Sport model, I like the sport seating much better. <br /><br />It really varies from one brand to another, but that advantages I like of the Sport seating on my Four Winns is the increased floor space and the flat sundeck across the back. Underneath the bench seat is tons of storage space for life jackets, beach bags, small coolers, etc. Whereas, on the back to back seats, the little jump seats beside the engine compartment are often small and cramped, and on a lot of models, even when you raise them up to make a "sundeck", it is not very flat or smooth.<br /><br />Hope this helps!

njlarry

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks, that is a big help. I like the sport seating too but wondered if it would give less floor space and make docking harder as there looks to be less access to the aft sections. I have no experience with either as my current boat is a center console. Also do you lose the lenght of the back to back in the reclined position for naps and overnights as the beam of the boats leave less room (lenght). The 190 Horizon looks to be the ideal lenght for my use-mostly small rivers, some large bays and lots of towing.

youmansjason

Seaman

You are correct in that on some models, the sport seating does give less floor space. On some models, they make the rear sundeck so large that it takes up a lot of the floor space. That was one thing I liked about my 1997 model, the rear sundeck is not overly wide (neither is the built-in rear platform, so it leaves a lot open space inside the boat. For docking, I usually can kneel down on the bench seat and lean across the sundeck to reach the rear cleats. <br /><br />You do lose the back to back seats if you go with the sport seating. Depending on the beam of the boat (and how tall you are), the rear bench seat could be long enough to stretch out on, but just for 1 person. You will just have to lay down and test in the boats when you are shopping.<br /><br />One advantage of the bucket seats in the newer models is that many of them have a fold up seat bolster that is great for that partially standing/leaning position. It gives you great outward visibility and comfort in rough water.