Seat ripped out.

JoshLaw

Cadet
One of the seats ripped out of the transom on my 67' tri-hull. The four bolts came out. All the other seats are fine. So I don't thing the whole transom is rotted, and the boat hasn't been collecting water to be able to get into the sealed transom. So, how do I go about fixing that area of the transom? Is it okay to just put like two layers of fiberglass over the area that the seat was mounted, and remount? Or could I just fill the holes with epoxy/bondo/JB-Weld, and screw the seat back down? I'm planning to take the boat out Saturday, and this happens. :(

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Re: Seat ripped out.

Some photos would be a big help for us to determine the condition of your boat.

Generally, if something rips out of the boat, its a bad thing.

So lets get those photos up!

JoshLaw

Cadet

Damage:

CIMG09281.jpg

CIMG09331.jpg

CIMG09261.jpg

jonesg

Admiral

Thats the deck, transom is the rear wall that the outboard clamps onto.

those aren't bolts, they're screws and will never hold a seat base for long.
The seat base needs thru bolts and works best with a backing plate,

mine did the same thing so I installed a 3/4inch ply base that measures 36 inches side to side and 18 inches front to rear, the edges of the ply are bevelled to prevent tripping over it.

but i think your deck may be shot so...:eek:

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hmmm...yeah I cant say for sure without actually seeing/feeling your deck but it sure has the symptoms of being shot. If you check it out more and discover more parts of the deck are soft, maybe your best bet would be to do some sort of temporary fix to last ya through this summer. Then replace the deck next fall/winter. If the deck's not totally soft, maybe you could fasten another piece of plywood over the area to mount your seat on temporarily till you fix the deck right.

Gud luck!

JoshLaw

Cadet

I think the 3/4 ply will work. It will most likely be temporary. I'm just not looking forward to ripping up the deck to replace it just yet. I'm gonna have to study the restoring section on this site to see what I'm in for. Thanks :)