seat recovering question

boaterinsd

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi, just got the materials to recover the rear seat on my Larson. I see the original had the vinyl and plastic over the foam padding. So is needed to keep it dry or not? BTW, I got all the stuff to do the seat for about $90. If it ends up good i'll post some pics. TIA

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: seat recovering question

The plastic is an extra layer of protection for the foam and helps keep it dry....... common ;)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Keeps the Backing on the vinyl from abrading the foam. Spray some contact cement on and use some garbage bags. Work Great!!!!

jamiemac74

Seaman

Also helps in the asssembly of the seat. I have been installing headrest tv's in automobiles for years. It helps the material slide onto the foam. I have ask a couple of interior guys what it was for while redoing my boat. They said it was for cushion cover installation. A properly made cover is normally a extremely tight fit on the foam that way the cover fits properly and doent have material floping in the wind. They said you can substitue grocery bags, trash bags, or whatever it will be fine...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yep I even used some WalMart bags on Mine!!!!:rolleyes:

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

I agree with the anti-abrasion, ease to slip-on, and tight fit theories. IMO, the "waterproofing the foam" thing is bogus, because the plastic is going to eventually degrade and/or split negating any "waterproofing" effect. And in the meantime all the plastic is going to do is trap and contain moisture in your foam.

IMO you are better off spray-gluing a layer of dacron batting to the foam. Performs all the functions of the plastic, fills out the vinyl better, and doesn't trap water like a plastic bag.

EDIT: and for when people reply with "but manufacturers use plastic instead of dacron," well yes, it's cheaper, and it only has to last until the warranty expires! ;)