Searched - DIY Transom Cap Ideas

Berdink

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have searched thread titles, went through build threads. I found a couple ideas on YouTube. And one in another forum.
I've read some posts here where they have a shop make them a new one. And some where they use aluminum channel - even ones where they heat the aluminum and get it follow the curve some transoms have - which looks really cool.
I'm hoping to get other ideas.
Even 'outside the box' ideas.

I need to update my Signature, but mine is a curved one on a 67 aluminum StarCraft.
But I've thought about changing it to just have straight runs and angles like the second pic just so I can do everything with straight pieces and miter cuts.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220301-200458.png
    Screenshot_20220301-200458.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20220301-200827.png
    Screenshot_20220301-200827.png
    473.5 KB · Views: 9

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I have access to shop tools, I dont even think about this kind of stuff..... Just fire up the welder

However you can buy transom cap material / trim material.

Berdink

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yeah, I have a mig (not just a wire feed, but a mig), not a tig. I used it for sheet metal work on my 65 Chevy.
Can I do aluminum with a mig?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Yeah, I have a mig (not just a wire feed, but a mig), not a tig. I used it for sheet metal work on my 65 Chevy.
Can I do aluminum with a mig?
reverse polarity, teflon liner, proper gas, yes.

how do you have a mig without wire feed?

Berdink

Petty Officer 2nd Class
reverse polarity, teflon liner, proper gas, yes.

how do you have a mig without wire feed?
Sorry, what I meant is it isn't just a plain wire feed welder. Some that don't have the hook-ups for gas, can only be used with flux core. I know with sheet metal and just a wire feed welder it can be tough to not burn through. You usually need gas for thin and/or soft metals. I'm sure you know more than me, I'm just guessing flux wire would burn right through aluminum.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
If you do not need great strength, look at some rubber or thin metal rub rails. They have solid rubber, solid aluminum which can be bent and other options. They attach with SS screws or pop rivets. I think taco is a large manufacturer.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Sorry, what I meant is it isn't just a plain wire feed welder. Some that don't have the hook-ups for gas, can only be used with flux core. I know with sheet metal and just a wire feed welder it can be tough to not burn through. You usually need gas for thin and/or soft metals. I'm sure you know more than me, I'm just guessing flux wire would burn right through aluminum.
local sheet metal shop, have them bend up a 5052 16 gauge or 14 gauge aluminum cap. soft enough to form with a rubber mallet. strong enough for your needs.

Berdink

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Okay, rubber or vinyl is what I was thinking, but yeah, if I could form some aluminum c-channel to match the Holiday's large arched transom, then I would rather keep the original Holiday transom's curve.

Attachments

• PXL_20220226_225714997.jpg
    PXL_20220226_225714997.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 11

Berdink

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I guess I missed this thread:

Berdink

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This might work. PVC C-Channel. Might be able to use a heat gun to shape it to the curve of the transom.
Outwater Plastics Black 1-1/2'' Styrene Plastic U-Channel/C-Channel 48 Inch Lengths (Pack of 3) https://a.co/d/7HeqJ2s