searay bellows question....

makinc80

Seaman Apprentice
i am workin on a 94 240 searay overnighter with a 5.7l mercruiser and a alpha 1 gen 2 outdrive. i have some motor work to do before i can even think of putting it near water and i discovered the bellows are dryrotted away. question is can i run the motor with muffs on the outdrive with the bellows in such disrepair? the boat is in my yard on a trailer and at least leeds the bellows replaced, a starter, batteries, and we'll see what else!!! thanks for the help guys!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: searay bellows question....

As long as it's not in the water, it doesn't matter. But was the bellows bad when it WAS in the water. You could have a locked up gimbal bearing or ujoints from rust.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Once you do get the drive off, put a water hose in the hole shown at 9:00 if you want to run the motor.
mcshift.jpg

Bondo

Staff member

question is can i run the motor with muffs on the outdrive with the bellows in such disrepair? the boat is in my yard on a trailer and at least leeds the bellows replaced, a starter, batteries, and we'll see what else!!!

Ayuh,... No Problem, go for it....

makinc80

Seaman Apprentice

WOW!!!! thanks for the super fast responses! the boat was missing for a few seasons (long story) but was not put in the water or comissoned for summer in about 4 years. looks like it is just how i left it last winterazation, just really dirty and some sun damaged vinyl. THANKS AGAIN ALL!!!!