SeaRay 185 seat... raise it up?

bigb2008

Seaman
I'm looking for some good ideas here on this one. I've got a 185 Sport, and anytime underway(w/ any sort of speed), I find myself sitting on my leg, or even kneeling on the seat so I can see over the windshield.

I guess I'm looking to see what others have done for this. I was hoping there was some sort of "cushion", or even a new seat mount that would raise up(like a deskchair would), that would be a straight out replacement for the one that is there now.

Currently, it's a stock seat w/ the forward/back adjustment, which I like, but I just wish it went up/down a bit. (maybe 6-10 inches or so)... Any ideas?

45Auto

Commander
Re: SeaRay 185 seat... raise it up?

Do you have a picture of the seat and base?

Might be easier to come up with ideas if everybody knew what it looked like .....

Lots of different seat configurations in boats ......

bigb2008

Seaman

Yea, 800$ is a bit pricey for a seat. :) Then again, it's a searay. haha...

I am planning on picking up the boat this weekend at some point, I will take some pics of what it looks like. Only reason I am thinking an aftermarket may not work is because of the "front/back" adjustment on the seat. The pedestal itself stays in one place, but the seat slides forward and backwards on that mount point. I'll have to take a closer look to see if that's the seat that does it, or the pedestal.

Thanks again guys, sorry for the lack of details.

govols019

Seaman

His seats look like this:

Attachments

• 100_2208.jpg
    100_2208.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 5

bhammer

Ensign

Mom used to make me sit on a phone book at the dinner table. :D

You could find a flip up bolster seat as other's have said. Have them on my current boat and use them all the time.

bigb2008

Seaman

Thank you for the link, and also the pic of the seat. I did bring the boat home from the marina yesterday, but with the holiday and family over wasn't able to get the top off to take some underside pics.

I guess my only concern is maintaining the front/back adjustment as well as adding the up/down. I'm a pretty tall person(6'5"), and like being able to slide the seat forward when I'm not underway, but need to be able to kick it back to drive. Looks like alot of these adjustable will go to 20" or so, so that would fit the bill perfectly.

Thanks again guys, as always,

jkust

Rear Admiral

I have the dual boster seats on my rig, but I generally find myself standing at the helm with the seat pushed back. I can say I almost never sit without the bolster, and maybe 15% of the time am actually on the bolster not standing (generally at slow speed). I don't think I am too unusual so you may find yourself standing more than you think when you start boating with the SR. Take two throwables and stack them on your seat when you actually sit and if that doesn't suit you go for one of the other options.

nytevizion

Cadet

Hello, new to the forums here. I know this thread is a little old but I have a similar issue.

I have a 1998 18.5' searay bowrider runabout with similar pedestals to the picture shown. Shortly after we bought the boat, the nylon/plastic swivel bushing was broken and lost from passenger side seat. Since then the pedestal and corresponding seat mount have worn out pretty bad, it's very loose with wobbles. I believe it's aluminum. The seats however, are in very good condition.

My question is, will any aftermarket pedestal and mount fit the bolt pattern on the floor and the pattern on the seat as well? There is no way to change the bolt pattern on the floor.

If possible, I would swap my good pedestal and seat with the passenger side, and purchase a new pedestal for the drivers side that adjusts up/down forward/back.