Searay 180 Alpha one fuel pick up fitting replacement

mtore

Cadet
While reinstalling the fuel tank ( Buechler Industries Inc. ) in my SR180 IO, I broke the fuel pick up fitting that comes out of the tank to the fuel line to the fuel pump. A couple of questions, Why is there a check valve in the fuel line to the pump? Is this a marine only thing? Is it required by Coast Guard? It definately will prevent a siphon of the tank through this fitting. Secondly where can I get a replacement fuel pick up fitting?

Attachments

• fuel tank fitting.jpg
    fuel tank fitting.jpg
    426.2 KB · Views: 5

Scott06

Vice Admiral
While reinstalling the fuel tank ( Buechler Industries Inc. ) in my SR180 IO, I broke the fuel pick up fitting that comes out of the tank to the fuel line to the fuel pump. A couple of questions, Why is there a check valve in the fuel line to the pump? Is this a marine only thing? Is it required by Coast Guard? It definately will prevent a siphon of the tank through this fitting. Secondly where can I get a replacement fuel pick up fitting?
The check valve is called the anti siphon valve and is a requirement to keep a fuel leak or ruptured line down stream from siphoning the fuel tank out into the bilge especially if pump or lines are lower.
the pick up fitting

on this page you can select a link to the parts manual for your sea ray https://www.searay.com/us/en/owners.html

there should be a drop down for year and then model. I was able to get the parts book for my 2004 200 sport and it gave the manufacturer part number for the fuel tank sending unit , simply googling that manufactuer part number gave me several purchase options on the web

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
My '88 SeaRay had a bit of an unusual fitting there. The pickup had a tube that goes into the fuel tank, which is standard, but under the tube (which unscrewed), was a filter. The antisiphon valve was integral to the pickup tube.

Most of the standard fuel pickups do not have the filter, and the A-S valve is screwed into the elbow of the pickup.

mtore

Cadet
Thanks for the info, I found a fuel pick-up on line. Now I'm trying to remove the broken parts from the tank, While I was trying to unscrew this fitting it broke off leaving the pick up and part of the adapter still in the boss of the tank. Now I'm trying to remove the remaining parts, The problem is I'm sitting on an empty 24 gallon bomb while working on this. I want to purge the tank with some inert gas I have available, Welding gas, or a halon fire extinguisher. Which do you recommend and how much to use?

Attachments

• fuel tank fitting 2.jpg
    fuel tank fitting 2.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 9
  • fuel tank fitting 1.jpg
    fuel tank fitting 1.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 10

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Thanks for the info, I found a fuel pick-up on line. Now I'm trying to remove the broken parts from the tank, While I was trying to unscrew this fitting it broke off leaving the pick up and part of the adapter still in the boss of the tank. Now I'm trying to remove the remaining parts, The problem is I'm sitting on an empty 24 gallon bomb while working on this. I want to purge the tank with some inert gas I have available, Welding gas, or a halon fire extinguisher. Which do you recommend and how much to use?
Nitrogen or argon are inert and readily available at welding and bottle gas suppliers

alternatively suck the gas out with a pump and rinse the tank out then you can do what ever you need to including welding

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Fill the tank with water. That will drive off the fumes. Hopefully the ez out will do the job.

mtore

Cadet
Success! Instead of trying to pull out the pick up tube, I drove it out the bottom then ran a 3/8 pipe tap to chase out the hole. I then removed the fuel sender unit and retrieved the pick up through the hole. What debris was left in the tank, I was able to shake out the hole for the pick up. The screen on the end of the new pickup should take care of any remaining pieces of aluminum left in the tank. The picture shows what the original pick up looks like. All of this was done with the tank out of the boat. For safety sake before drilling the hole out, I purged the tank with Nitrogen/Argon welding gas as a precaution against blowing my self and garage to smithereens.

Attachments

• fuel tank fitting 3.jpg
    fuel tank fitting 3.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 5

rustybronco

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Nitrogen or argon are inert and readily available at welding and bottle gas suppliers

alternatively suck the gas out with a pump and rinse the tank out then you can do what ever you need to including welding
Balloon inflator tank will also work.