Sean Penn's rescue bid sinks

capjack

Cadet
Sean needs some basic Boating 101 it seems...<br /><br />"Sean Penn's rescue bid sinks"<br /> http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,16494464%5E1702,00.html <br /><br /><br />
"EFFORTS by Hollywood actor Sean Penn to aid New Orleans victims stranded by Hurricane Katrina foundered badly overnight, when the boat he was piloting to launch a rescue attempt sprang a leak.<br /><br />Penn had planned to rescue children waylaid by Katrina's flood waters, but apparently forgot to plug a hole in the bottom of the vessel, which began taking water within seconds of its launch.<br /><br />The actor, known for his political activism, was seen wearing what appeared to be a white flak jacket and frantically bailing water out of the sinking vessel with a red plastic cup.<br /><br />When the boat's motor failed to start, those aboard were forced to use paddles to propel themselves down the flooded New Orleans street.<br /><br />Asked what he had hoped to achieve in the waterlogged city, the actor replied: "Whatever I can do to help."<br /><br />With the boat loaded with members of Penn's entourage, including a personal photographer, one bystander taunted the actor: "How are you going to get any people in that thing?"
Can I laugh now?

Ralph 123

Captain
Re: Sean Penn's rescue bid sinks

Oh this is just too good to be true!<br /><br />Welcome aboard CapJack - I can see I am going to appreciate your contributions :)

Pony

Rear Admiral

That sucks...he is one on favorite actors

Homerr

Commander

Isn't the captain suppose to go down with his ship? <br /><br />ROFLMAO !!<br /><br />Couldn't happen to a better person! :D <br /><br />H.

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

See? EVERYONE forgets the plug once!! :D

Homerr

Commander

I haven't... YET... :eek: <br /><br /><br />H.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Well, perhaps he screwed up and perhaps he was seeking some publicity, but:<br /><br />He was doing something rather than making speeches. Give the man credit for that.

Pony

Rear Admiral

No doubt about that Jb.....I wasnt being cynical, i really enjoy his acting. polital agenda not so much, but jb is right at least hes making an effort.<br /><br />However i dont know how much i agree with ANYONE doing such a thing because if too many try to help it will turn into a chaotic mess.

Ralph 123

Captain

Was he really though JB? As the story indicates, the boat was so full he could't have put anyone on it. So was it a real effort or a publcity stunt?<br /><br />
With the boat loaded with members of Penn's entourage, including a personal photographer, one bystander taunted the actor: "How are you going to get any people in that thing?"

Pony

Rear Admiral

without seeing pictures i refuse to comment. who can say how much room remained. and entourage is a term that has a lot of flexability to it. Kinda pointless to argue either way.

Ralph 123

Captain

All rescue workers need a personal photographer along - it is an essential tool for saving lives.

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Maybe he was there for comic relief!<br /><br />(I haven't had my turn either, Homerr.)

Pony

Rear Admiral

In no way is it essential to saving lives that much is obvious. we don't know what his motives were. perhaps he wanted to get pics of all the damage to gain support for fundraising, perhaps he wanted to show an upclose look at the "real" devastation, maybe it was in fact for personal publicity.....Fact is we don't know, and its stupid to argue it. We can debate it all day long and all we will do is a diservice to all those who are helping.

Ralph 123

Captain

Sure, we don't have enough pictures of the death and destruction. We need more. In fact, we need every rescuer in a small boat to bring a personal photographer and entourage along. I'm sure the people they'd have to leave behind because of a lack of room would surely agree. <br /><br />He's a very rich man, if he wanted to really help and get involved he'd have a hundred new boats with him.

D

DJ

WOOOOOO-DUUUUUUDE!<br /><br />LIIIIIKe we sprung a leak. BAAAAD Kaaaaaarma-Maaaan.<br /><br />But, as JB said, he's trying, in his own dysfunctional way.<br /><br />Stand aside Sean, let the pro's do it, and you can take the credit. Sound good?<br /><br />Thought so.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

I'm rather surprised that anyone without needed skills is allowed to launch a boat and proceed down a New Orleans street. Maybe he got some kinda permission.

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Why should New Orleans be different than any lake or river?

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

0,10114,5044250,00.jpg

D

DJ

Niiiiice Shades and "T" Maaaaaan.<br /><br />Keeep it up-Duuuuuuude!<br /><br />BTW, get rid of the grease in the hair and stop bailing with your "hurricane" cup, and we MIGHT believe you.<br /><br />You, Sean Penn, have ALLOT of ground to cover to regain ANY respect from THINKING Americans.

KaGee

Admiral

At least he was prepared to bail... even if it meant losing an otherwise perfect beer! :D