Sealing wood with fiberglass

sofasurfer

Cadet
I made my seat bases out of plywood. I coated them with fiberglass resin to seal them. I did NOT apply fiberglass cloth or mat. I simply blushed on the resin. Will the resin hold to the wood or will it crack and flake off as I'm told it will.<br /><br />I also need to build a engine cover. Since I have some large sheets of particle board and chip board, I wonder if my above mentioned method of coating them with resin will last at least for a year or 2 or will I be disappointed the first time they get wet. <br /><br />Does resin actually soak into the wood or just adhere to the surface?<br /><br />Thanks...

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Sealing wood with fiberglass

Sofa... it will soak into the wood so when it peals off some of the wood surface will come off with it...just a Thought

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Some resins are made to penetrate and bond to wood and are stable, some aren't and will peel off. Ask the manufacturer about your product.<br /><br />Don't know what you have in U.S., but here standard particle board breaks down fairly quickly if it gets wet much. High moisture resistant is a lot better, but there's a good reason they don't use particle board in exterior applications - it won't last. Marine ply or solid timber is best. <br /><br />If you have to use particle board, glue edge strips of solid timber (any kind - it'll still outlast the particle board) with a waterproof glue and paint all over. Edges are a lot more susceptible to moisture entry than main surfaces. If it's on a trailer boat that is stored under cover it'll easy last a couple of years, but I wouldn't use it on a moored boat or one stored outside.<br /><br />I've used "particle board" to mean any sort of chipped/chopped wood product which is reconstituted into panels with glues. They're all unsuitable for marine used. Also worse strength/weight ratio.

flashback

Captain

put a small piece of flakeboard in a bucket of water for a few days and enjoy...........