Sealing new gaskets on 9.8 merc

britabroad

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 6, 2008
Messages
19
I'm replacing the water jacket gasket, and exhaust plate gaskets on my 1985ish Merc 9.8.

Can I use Ultra-black RTV to seal the gaskets? The mating surfaces are a little rough from corrosion.

Thanks.
 

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander
Joined
Apr 28, 2004
Messages
1,627
Re: Sealing new gaskets on 9.8 merc

I'm replacing the water jacket gasket, and exhaust plate gaskets on my 1985ish Merc 9.8.

Can I use Ultra-black RTV to seal the gaskets? The mating surfaces are a little rough from corrosion.

Thanks.

I had the same question about my 1974 9.8 last year: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=222937&highlight=gasket

I made the surfaces as smooth as possible, but it still leaked with the new gasket. It was recommended in that thread that I use #2 gasket sealer - which doesn't harden fully. I did, and have used it this summer without any leaking or problems. I used:
http://www.permatex.com/products/Au.../auto_Permatex_Form-A-Gasket_No_2_Sealant.htm
 

britabroad

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 6, 2008
Messages
19
Re: Sealing new gaskets on 9.8 merc

Thanks for getting back so quick - could you possibly let me know what the correct bolt tightening sequence is? (I don't have access to a manual)

Thanks.
 

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander
Joined
Apr 28, 2004
Messages
1,627
Re: Sealing new gaskets on 9.8 merc

Thanks for getting back so quick - could you possibly let me know what the correct bolt tightening sequence is? (I don't have access to a manual)

Thanks.

I'll try to get back to you. In general though, you need to tighten in several steps, and for each step, do a star or "every other" type pattern - like when you tighten lug nuts on a wheel. But I'll try to get at that manual in the next day or so.
 

britabroad

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 6, 2008
Messages
19
Re: Sealing new gaskets on 9.8 merc

Nudge - any chance you managed to take a peek at the manual?
 

britabroad

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 6, 2008
Messages
19
Re: Sealing new gaskets on 9.8 merc

No worries now - I tightened in a star pattern and seems to be holding nicely.
 

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander
Joined
Apr 28, 2004
Messages
1,627
Re: Sealing new gaskets on 9.8 merc

No worries now - I tightened in a star pattern and seems to be holding nicely.
I'm so sorry I didn't get to this. I am looking at my repair manual now and just for future inquiries, here is the tightening pattern and torque.

This is for a 1974 9.8 hp, so it may or may not apply to any other engine.


Here's the general tightening sequences for covers with bolts on each side:

left - right (as you're facing the cover)
8 - 7
4 - 3
2 - 1 - these are the bolts at horizontal centerline .
6 - 5
10 - 9

Note, some may only have 6 bolts.

One of my covers has an odd number of bolts with one in the center of the bottom edge of the cover:

left - right (as you're facing the cover)
4 - 3
2 - 1 - these are the bolts at horizontal centerline .
6 - 7 - 5

I hesitate to post torque specs because I think they are quite varied by year and also by specific model. Mine are all 88 or 99 INCH pounds. It is standard though to tighten in at least 3 steps in these patterns.
 
Top