Sealer between hull & cap

Devon

Cadet
Should there be some sort of sealer between the hull bottom and the cap? I bought a 1976 18.5 ft Hydra sports bass boat from my uncle who 2 years ago separated the cap from the hull to replace the floor and the transom wood. When he put the cap back on it appears he didn't use any sealer in the seam. He didn't put the rubrail back on so removing all the screws would be no problem.<br />The reason I ask is that after a high speed run I have about 10 gallons of water in the hull, which the bilge pump easily gets rid of. I can troll all day and not get any more water on board until I make another high speed run. My assumption is that when running fast water spray is coming in under the rubrail seam. Am I on the right track or should I be looking somewhere else?<br />Thanks, Devon

snapperbait

Vice Admiral
Re: Sealer between hull & cap

Your on the right track, Devon.. The joint needs to be sealed.. <br /><br />I'd recomend removing the screws, filling the gap with a thick bead of 3M 5200 adhesive/sealant, then screw the cap and hull back together and clean up the excess sealant.... <br /><br />Note: 3M 5200 is a VERY strong adhesive.. If you stick two pieces of fiberglass together with it, once it's cured don't expect to get the two pieces apart again (at least, not without a fight)...