seal plwood deck before carpet

fishkiller

Seaman
I have read numerous posts on resins and epoxies and they have completely confused me.......I have an 1850 lund tyee and got a crazy hair this winter and gutted the inside to replace carpet as the bow section wood was a little soft. I have now cut the plywood to put back in a need to seal it(I really don't think the factory sealed the C-C plugged ply that was in there). I will be laying carpet back in this(put down with contact cement) and was wondering can you just use the poly resin as a "paint" for the plywood and won't that seal the plywood?

erikgreen

Captain
Re: seal plwood deck before carpet

Yes, but it won't last too long without some small amount of glass. Poly resin is brittle without fiberglass reinforcement.

That will work for epoxy, if you use that though. It's a very different material to poly.

Erik

45Auto

Commander

I used 2 coats of Min-Wax urethane "Spar Varnish" on all the wood I replaced on my Bayliner. No rot or soft spots and the areas you could see still looked brand new when I sold the boat 7 years later.

i386

Captain

I used 2 coats of epoxy. The first coat soaks into the wood. The second coat stays on top and is slick like a table. I thickened the second coat of the edges with a little cabosil.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

as you can see, there are many different ways to build a boat, (or replace sections of the deck).

however, just painting with polyester resin, and carpeting will only work for a short time....5-7 years.....

if you add a layer of fiberglass matt, approx 8 oz total, the repair will last 20 years. or longer.

adding the glass, will take another 30 minits total and cost under 20 dollars.

the reason we add glass to the deck, is........

a. its structural, (carry the glass 6 ins up the sides of the boat)
b. water proofing (resin alone is brittle and will crack very easily)
c. durability....(glass can be as strong as steel)

if you dont use anything, the carpet will trap moisture/water next to the deck and rot it out in just a few years.

hope that helps

cheers
oops

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

Another thing comes to mind on the carpet install. Instead of applying it to the deck with contact cement you could fasten it down with snaps. That way when it's wet, dirty or whatever just unsnap it and let it dry.
Get your carpet, have the edges bound and then install the snap caps. Kits can be found almost anywhere.

F_I_Sherman

Cadet

I just had to make a small deck to install a bow mounted trolling motor my aluminum semi-v and used torch down roofing material. It may be a slight bit heavy but it was free!

TriadSteeler

Petty Officer 1st Class

When I began my restoration, I was 100% in favor of reinstalling carpet. Based on the sage advice of tashasdaddy, I decided to forego the carpet and paint the deck with non-skid.

I'm not really pleased with the results of the nonskid. It was my own fault because I applied it incorrectly and it really looks shoddy. At this stage I just don't want to resand the entire deck and reapply.

I like the idea of the snaps, but would rather not put all of those holes in the deck.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried holding carpet in place with velcro strips. I like the look/feel of carpet, but I'd love to be able to take it out if necessary.

Sorry for the hijack.

And fishkiller. If you are using polyester resin, definately use chopped strand mat with it to seal the deck. I didn't replace my deck, but I had to grind off the old carpet glue and left over carpet remnants and on top of the existing fiberglass remaining I applied resin-mat-resin-fiberglass cloth-resin-mat-finishing resin(to flatten)-3 coats of marine paint.