Seafoam

V156

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have twelve gallons of gas that's been sitting in my boat since the first week in June and i wondered if it was still good. Sent a e-mail to Seafoam's home office in Minn and this what it said:I see no problem with stabilizing fuel for 2 years. I have stabilized fuel<br />for 4 years with Sea Foam. If you are really concerned you can use the gas<br />up in your car a couple of gallons at a time when you fill up. Or you could<br />use 1 more can of Sea Foam and use it 1 can to 6 gallons of fuel. I do not<br />see the need, but at least this will give you a couple more options. Sea<br />Foam stabilizes fuel for longer than any stabilizer. If I can be of any<br />more help you can call @ (952)938-4811. Thanks for using Sea Foam.<br />Mark Hanson<br />President<br />Sea Foam Sales<br />(952) 938-4811<br />customerservice@seafoamsales.com<br />I can't find the post I put on the board Oct 30 asking about this, but it would sure be nice if it was true. Has anyone heard of PRI-G. This stuff is SUPPOSED to do what seafoam claims too-<br /> http://www.4seatow.com/sea/prig.htm. Sorry about the long post but I'm very curious about this.<br /><br />Dutch

dmessy

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Seafoam

Really doubt if ANY gas stabilizer will work that long(5 months). Siphone it out or you'er asking for problems.

Mike NZ

Petty Officer 2nd Class

12 Gallons is about 70.00. You couldn't get in and out of a workshop for that so I'd dump it. As for addatives you never really know, there must be genuine products competing with outright fraudsters its hard for consumers. This site is a great place to test public opinion though. So what is the use buy date on a tank of gas? And Dutch, no boating since June? How sad :confused:

Trent

Captain

Seafoam as well as Berryman's B12 both work really well. Id use the gas in a heartbeat! Been doing it for many years. My thoughts only.<br /><br />Or if you dont want to do that. Go to the airport and buy you some 100LL avgas and pour in the tank with your other fuel. Avgas does not go bad like automotive fuel.

ob

Admiral

Trent,I'd wager the price of a tank of gas that you wouldn't make it to the fuel depot at an airport waliking in with an empty container wanting a fillup nowdays.If you attempt it, don't wear a turban.

Trent

Captain

Naaa. Its not that bad. Just dont go to an airport with airline service and no worries.

ob

Admiral

Trent , you're probably right . Just tried to make a funny.

V156

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for your thoughts on this matter gentlemen.<br />So I could use it or not. I have not had my boat in the water since June but I have ran her. I installed a new impeller and decarbed her in July.<br />She ran like a champ. So it has been cranked and ran for 30 minutes or so quite a few times since early June so it's not really 12 gallons. What I plan to do is siphon about 4 gallons out of the tank which will bring the gas left to about 3-4 gallons. Then fill up with fresh 87 or 89 and oil. If I filled it up now with fresh gas would that bring up the octane enough to be of use. I know it sounds cheap but I'm just asking. ;) ;) <br /><br />Dutch

ad4par1

Seaman

Can you really use 100LL avgas in an outboard and not have any complications? Maybe bumb my 50 HP to a 150...lol :D . Next project....NOS!

V156

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mike NZ:<br /><br />Where do you buy your gas?? 12 gallons for $70.00?<br />I don't know where you live but that can get expensive quickly. :) No I haven't been on the water in a while but I had to do some maintenence on this thing to make sure it was right and ready to go when I do get time to fish. So unused gas.<br /><br />Dutch

ob

Admiral

Dutch ,I don't see a problem at all in syphoning four gallons or so out and freshening up the rest with 87 octane and TCW3.You sound conciencious enough to have monitored the fuel condition(ie;water,sediment)that you should be good to go.If rig isn't going to be used for a while give it a dose of stabil or product of choice and run for 5 minutes on hose.Good luck.Happy motoring.

BillP

Captain

One year is no big deal...it is done all the time in Fl with the seasonal crowd. Stay-Bil says their brand lasts one year.<br /><br />Aviation gas is REAL dirty so beware. I ran 100 octane low lead in a VW (1915cc) engine and it left a huge amount of internal buildup...within 100 hrs of running. The engine was running correct exhaust and cyl head temps so mixture was not the cause.

Scoop

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'd use the gas. If the motore starts and runs fine, then use it up. If it does not , then pull some and freshen it with new gas. I have done the same thing many times. The worst thing is the gum that starts in the carb which can happen after 30 days. If you use gas stabilizer, then don't worry for up to a year. I am not sure about Seafoam stabilizer, but Stay-Bil works well and is recommended by a lot of engine manufacturers for storage up to a year. I do use Stay-Bil all the time in my motor because I never know when I will get the time to go out. I use it in my Lawn mowers and snow blower at the end of the season. The last time I pulled my carb off my snow blower, it was clean as a whistle.

If you used Stabil, I would run it. I use Stabil in all my toys and have never pulled off a carb. This includes pre-mix for chain saws and weed wackers, as well no mix for outboards, snowblowers, snowmobiles and what ever. I do watch where I buy my gas.

V156

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I do have a bottle of Stabil that I've used in my dads lawnmower and my other boat and have had no problems at all. I used Seafoam because it cleans the fuel system and takes care of the gas too. You're right ob I do keep tabs on my gas. That's one reason I installed a fuel/water seperator along with a tach,water pressure guage etc, to make sure I know what's going on behind me. I haven't done much fishing lately but I rather take the time and advice on this board to make sure I have a good trip the next time out. I have between 3/4 and half a tank left so I'll freshen it up with new gas and oil and be on my way soon.<br /><br />Dutch

Trent

Captain

BillP... Avgas is not "dirty". Its actually "clean". If it were "dirty" we would not be using it in aircraft everyday. However the build up you saw was from the lead content. <br /><br />Maybe you mis-understood what I was trying to say? Top off your tank with it and it will keep the fuel "stablized". Do not run it all the time. As with your VW you will get lead buildup. However with outboards using any fuel you should decarb the engine at least once a year....my thoughts only.

Kenny Bush

Chief Petty Officer

Dutch, Use that fuel. As said earlier, if it runs funny, drain it and refill. As for Seafoam, I use it all the time with great success. It is easy to keep gas stable around here in the metroplex for at least a year, if you buy your gas from a reliable station that refines their own gas like Mobil, Chevron..............Anyway, you should not have any trouble with that length of storage......Later.BushCat

janichol

Seaman Apprentice

OB, if you have a turbine, you can't use 100LL Avgas anyway.... turbines need Jet fuel.<br />But I'm not sure I see the point in putting a high octane leaded fuel in to stabilize what I've got, if it's going to gum it up..... Why not spend that extra money for an additive that is made for the application???

ob

Admiral

Scudrunner, You need to look closer at my use of the word turban.Did you misconstrue it for wearing a strap-on turbine engine?

V156

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the reply BushCat. Actually my boat is in Nacogdoches in East Texas but it's probably the same. I filled up with Chevron gas back in June at a store that sells tons of gas because it's only one of two stores for miles before you hit water. When I worked on it during June-early August it ran very well. If there's any water I believe my fuel/water separator filter should take care of it. Speaking of water: when it stops raining long enough around here I'll try to get on the water. Since I've done all this work I'm really curious to see if decarbing and the other things will increase performance and if so-how much.