Seafoam Carb Clean-up ....

mt3

Cadet
i am looking at using Seafoam on my rig to clean it out .... i have some possibly really stupid questions .... thanks for help in advanced!

1. this is done with the muff (boat out of water)?

2. do i need to remove prop?

3. can i use too much? .... i have 1990 Merc 135 HP 6 cylinder 2 stroke

4. any other tips/tricks?

ps. i understand that the gold standard is to rebuild the carbs ... but i would like to try a 6 dollar solution before a $200 solution .....

4JawChuck

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Seafoam Carb Clean-up ....

The easiest method I know is run a full can in a half tank of fuel and go for a ride! I usually do this a couple times a year, at the beginning of the season and the end...keeps the cobwebs out.

If you are real ambitious you can run the engine straight from the can by putting the fuel line into the can and run her on the muffs until its gone, then let it sit for an hour or so and run her again with fuel to flush it out. Use a high idle while do the flushing procedure and stand back because it will smoke!

Nothing beats a real carb teardown though, I did mine last year and the carbs were crystal clean inside...I credit Seafoam and proper carb drainage and engine storage at the end of the season for that.

milehighboater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Seafoam Carb Clean-up ....

I would do it in the water, there is a lot of smoke. I have had luck with putting seafoam in a spray bottle to clean out the throat of the carb. Just take off the air filter and spray in and then put a can in a full tank of gas run and then fill back up as normal.