Seadoo GTX 4 tec

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Is there a Seadoo repair forum other than this, or just ask here?
2004 seadoo gtx 4 stroke supercharged bombardier(heck of a name)
Have a pair of them, they sat for 4-5 years and one doesn't want to turn over.
New batteries, one just clicks and the starter engages but only groans and when the solenoid
gets hot all it does is click.
I added a boost to the battery, starter and it makes no difference.

Is there a way to access the crank and try to help turn it over?

THANKS

Scott06

Vice Admiral
if you google it there a better participated in jetski forums than here

i get my seadoo parts here these guys have good parts selction for older skis

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi. Out with it being the actual starter that’s the issue…it sure sounds like you might have a hydro lock situation here. I’d take the plugs out and try turning it over. You’ll soon know if water comes out the plug holes.
If this is the issue. It’s most often caused by one of two ways.
Either it’s been towed in the water too fast and water has been scooped up and into engine cylinders or…
A water hose has been attached to it and turned on before the engine was started, allowing cylinders to fill up with water and lock.
In both occasions…water can get into engine if there is no back pressure from exhaust of a running engine.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Thanks Scott, had the first one and added the rest to my favorites.

QBhoy: Not hydro locked.
I got it with the plugs out and won't turn over.
The starter kicks in but does nothing but groan.
The solenoid went bad as I tried to start it, got hot and melted a post.

THANKS!!!

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral

THANKS!!!
You could try turning the impeller or pump shaft if you can get to it. if you’re very very careful and with plugs out.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral

THANKS!!!
I’m fact. Make sure the impeller isn’t jammed up. Have a look underneath and into intake grate with a torch

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Explain please?
So behind the engine there is a drive shaft and a coupler. That then goes through a carbon seal to the impeller. If you can see the coupler you may be able to turn it by hand with the plugs out.
If not…you will be able to turn it by the shaft or impeller underneath and in the hull. If you take the intake grate off the underside of the hull.
That may actually be the whole issue too. The impeller may be jammed up by something. Between it and wear ring. Quite common

Scott06

Vice Admiral
So behind the engine there is a drive shaft and a coupler. That then goes through a carbon seal to the impeller. If you can see the coupler you may be able to turn it by hand with the plugs out.
If not…you will be able to turn it by the shaft or impeller underneath and in the hull. If you take the intake grate off the underside of the hull.
That may actually be the whole issue too. The impeller may be jammed up by something. Between it and wear ring. Quite common
Yes was also thinking pump itself could be siezed if it sat with water inside for years. Might be easier to remove pump and see if you can turn driveshaft

alldodge

Staff member
Removing the rear cone will give ya access to the impeller (prop). Being a 4 stroke, it won't be real easy to turn, meaning might need more then your hand.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Got the outer housing off, then tried to get the impeller housing loose, it only comes about 3/4 of an inch then pulls itself back in.
Looked in the service manual= nothing on that.
Saw a couple of u-tube videos and they gave me some ideas, for tomorrow.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Got the outer housing off, then tried to get the impeller housing loose, it only comes about 3/4 of an inch then pulls itself back in.
Looked in the service manual= nothing on that.
Saw a couple of u-tube videos and they gave me some ideas, for tomorrow.
Don’t know that model exactly but Sounds like the impeller is stuck on the driveshaft. Its just pulling against the Coupler between engine and drive shaft and or the seal where it goes through the hull.
driveshaft is splined into impeller, if it hasn’t been off ever may be the issue

alldodge

Staff member
I would think more the impeller stuck on the wear ring. There isn't much clearance between the two parts. Replaced the wear ring on mine a few years ago and its not hard to remove the pump for a look sea.

Steps from another poster

Attachments

• Wear Ring removal.pdf
    73.2 KB · Views: 3

Scott06

Vice Admiral
From OP -
Yea that's what I'm thinking.
Any way to separate?

I would think more the impeller stuck on the wear ring. There isn't much clearance between the two parts. Replaced the wear ring on mine a few years ago and its not hard to remove the pump for a look sea.

Steps from another poster
To OP - see step 5 in what AD posted. On my older sea doo the pump and impeller come out together assume it is the same? This guy has rigged up some type of puller to pull pump with impeller out of the hull.

The impeller is either stuck to driveshaft or the gasket and any sealant used is holding the pump body to the hull. Either way more beer and more careful persuasion...

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Did you have a look in the intake grate to see if there was anything jamming the prop up ? Or to see if it’s hard into the wear ring. I’d think if you can get a hold of the shaft or prop enough…you should be able to turn it with the spark plugs out. Just a wee 1500 3 cylinder thing I’m sure

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The prop is SIEZED on the shaft.
I have cramps in my fingers from trying to pull it free.
I got the intake grate off and finally have access to the driveshaft under the ski, nothing blocking.
Rain yesterday stopped all work, today I'll get under and try to turn the driveshaft and try to get the prop off the end.
I don't want to damage the shaft so I'm staying away from vise grips for now.
Now that I have access I think I can reach the spot that the shaft and pump are stuck and can use a brass drift to make it slide back.
Dodge thanks for the attachment, unfortunately it didn't help.
The driveshaft is really corroded and once I get the prop off I'll know how far I need to go.
I'm really hoping it's a stuck prop, would make my life a lot easier :)

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Not only is it seized !!! But the driveshaft is seized on BOTH ends, the prop and engine coupler. :(

I've got it dismantled enough that I can get the hot wrench in to the engine coupler.

Hate to think I might have to cut the shaft. :(