Seadoo DESS Key

sailsmanship

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have two 1997 Seadoo GTX's that are keyed alike. I have misplaced one one the keys and am ready to go up to the lake. Is there any way to start the one and bypass the key somehow and use it to start and run the other one?

Rob454

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Seadoo DESS Key

No. you need a new key from the dealer.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Take the key to any key shop, they will cut you a handful for a few bucks.

Rob454

Chief Petty Officer

Take the key to any key shop, they will cut you a handful for a few bucks.

Dude do you even know what youre talking about or you just like useless misinformative posts? Not trying to be a jerk but you CANNOT go to your nearest key shop and have him make you a couple of keys for a couple of bucks because THEY CANT MAKE THEM. This is a SPECIAL key not a key for a boat. if you dont know dont post or research the subject BEFORE you post. I highly doubt that a Key shop has the reader for a DESS sea doo key
Pictured below is a DESS key. the key also acts as a shut off when you get thrown off the ski

Attachments

• 7f51_2.jpg
    7f51_2.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 0

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

ouch,, dess had a resistor with an assigned value to it, the dealer MUST program the ski computer to recognise the value of the key or the computer will reject that key and give a loud annoying beep telling you the key is wrong and the ski will not respond,, I HATE dess but the only way to eliminate it is to get a total loss ignition or an aftermarket system for big bucks,, get a couple dess keys I get them at a used jet ski place, and have them cross programmed so each one will work the other or have a new one programmed for your ski and a spare programmed for both, the dealer will rape you on programming charges though they were doing it for free once upon a time.

luis76one

Recruit

Please send me a hand full of keys ill give you a couple of buck and you can keep the change :p

NMPeter

Cadet

Lots of independant shops now have the ability to "make" keys. It's obvious BRP either doesn't want to deal with the bad press they might get by going after the companies that "figured out" how to do it or they realize it's going to cost the delaers far more in the long run by being nutso about thier intellectual property.

Just so the facts are clear..while common folklore calls the bit in the key a resistor, it isn't. It actually is a transistor type bit that provides a binary value to the computer when power is applied to it. Not that it matters, each key might as well have a seven digit numer printed on it. The ignition system is told that number is valid for a startup.

As far as charges go, I can't stay in usiness by giving stuff away. I have an hourly labor rate and on my very very best day from the time the customer pulls in with the baot, byu the time I make out a ticket, get the stuff out, connect it, cut the key get paid etc etc etc it's at minimum 15 minutes.

Sure I'll make a key for free now and then, but that is typically when the ski is in the shop for other things.

In my situation, getting a key made on the spot is worth a whole lot to most folks. Nobody has ever balked at the price I charge for keys. They typically know what the alternatives are. I don't take advanatage of that fact, as I could likely charge double what I do now and nobody is going to drive away.

Anybody who complains jetski keys are pricey should take a trip to thier car dealer to see what it costs to get a repalcement remote control for thier late model car.

Wanna talk pricey?..spec out a dealer replacement cost for a yamaha pwc remote control.

As of now, any good shop will have one of several systems on market to code seadoo keys based on the buy in price of these systems, expect to be charged $25-$50 to get a key ( that's on top of the cost of the key itself) You have to make lots of keys to pay off a $2k investment and if your nearest dealer is a day away and you're looking at losing a nice weekend on the water, it comes down to the price of a couple of cases of beer and a bottle of jack.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

There is a guy online (you do the research...it's easy to find) that sells replacement ignition keys that will work on any ski. I would pick up 2-3, just in case. My only spare key is the learner key...How sucky would that be?

rochan

Cadet

This is a SPECIAL key not a key for a boat. if you dont know dont post or research the subject BEFORE you post. In my situation, getting a key made on the spot is worth a whole lot to most folks. Nobody has ever balked at the price I charge for keys. They typically know what the alternatives are.

NMPeter

Cadet

This is a SPECIAL key not a key for a boat. if you dont know dont post or research the subject BEFORE you post. In my situation, getting a key made on the spot is worth a whole lot to most folks. Nobody has ever balked at the price I charge for keys. They typically know what the alternatives are.

Is that an echo of what I said previously?

Folks that don't know often give advice..the are simply trying to share what they know..even when they are not accurate, they have to get a nod for at least trying to help. Folks that do know also give advice, and can back it up with expertise. It;s common info in the boating world that there are onl a dozen or so kes for most outboard engine control units...this is where the bad advice comes from

I learned all about Seadoo DESS keys pretty quick when I got back into the business a few years ago since our nearest seadoo stealer was 100 miles from our lake. I paid big bucks for a seadoo dealer handheld key maker. I was the hero for two years. Now there are commercial alternatives which are far superior ( except for the fact they need a laptop) and you can still buy the seadoo purple box handhelds for $1000 and up on ebay. ( don't buy one without the dealer password. The brick after 4 attempts to start them up)

The lowest entry cost for the personal ski user is the CanDoo pro system for $400 you get the goods. Makes keys for ANY seadoo The only restriction is you are limited on the number of skis you can make keys for. The initial limit is 4. Is it worth $100 for you to be able to make a key without taking your ski to a shop? Sure it is. Each additional ski after the first 4 is $50-$100 depending on how many skis you upgrade 4. Aftermarket lanyards can be had for $25 and up.

If you have a couple of skis and want them all to be able to start with the same key you can do that too..no more trying to figure out which key in the kitchen drawer will start the ski on your dock.

need REAL answers on DESS key issues?..I can help.

Hellride

Recruit

I drove 50 miles to a shop to get a key reprogrammed or basically a new key , At the desk the lady asks me ,If i was registered owner..................Which I am not ,its my parents they had sent me to get the key done ,I had paper work and key in hand ,AS SHE proceeds to tell me they ," WON"T do keys without registered present along with the valid ID"....due to theft.........granted this is totally understandable ,TO BAD she couldn't of mentioned this on the phone before i drove that far for nothing....Anyway ,be prepared for this to go down .....not sure if all shops procedures are all like this,I'm sure more and more are doing this,I don't blame them...............ps someone mentioned cost for this key to get done.........it was way cheaper than what there charging out here in Concord,California .........75.00 per key