Seadoo ate a rope... what next?

jrampey

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK, my son just called - he ran over a ski rope. immediately shut off the engine. tried to pull the rope out but no good. Used a knife to cut the rope as close to the grate as possible. restarted the engine and labored for a few seconds. Shut the engine off and saw a few strands visible thru the grate. Pulled these out and started again. ran for a few minutes at 1/3 throttle to get back to the ramp, but got a warning on the display "exhaust" shut it down and had someone tow him the last 300'. Now its on the trailer... I guess I'll be towing it to the shop tomorrow. What should I know - how hard is this fix. Sounds like some of the rope wound up in the exhaust cooling loop. I'm looking for insight before I go to the shop so I'm not taken advantage of.

Oh - its a 07 seadoo GTI SE 130 hp

bently

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Seadoo ate a rope... what next?

You should be able to fix this yourself. Remove the pump from the rear of your ski and you will be able to get most of the rope out. You will need an impeller tool to remove the impeller to get at any rope rapped on the impeller shaft next to the pump housing veins. You will need to remove the cone to put a wrench on the short shaft while removing the impeler. Once the rope is removed check bearing seals and re-install. The warning light you saw was from the rop obstructing the water intake, that should be fine after the rope is gone.

jrampey

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Seadoo ate a rope... what next?

Yep, not too hard... got 8 or 10 ft of rope out of it. Wear ring was worn badly so I replaced it running like new now!