Seacast help!!

So, this week i will be ordering my seacast transom replacement. I would love some help on doing the repairi and what to get to finish it.

First, someone mentioned that If I stick strong peices of wood into the transom to fill space I won't need as much seacast (which we all know is $60 a bucket...) Is this a horrible idea? Also, to anyone who has done this... Any tips or suggestions? What else exactly will I need to fisnish it up?

Mike

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Seacast help!!

hi mike......

if your going to use seacast....use it.....

if you want wood. do that....not both......the wood will rot between the seacast and youll be doing it again,

a good wood transom with the cheapest materials will last 20 years.

seacast? who knows ?

flip a coin

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Its either Seacast or all wood. Do not stick wood down in the Seacast!
Seacast is as strong as any composite you can buy but its not designed to be mixed with wood.
I tested the seacast with about a gallon i had left over. I let it cure about a week.It was about 2 inches thick.We beat it with hammers,threw it against a concrete floor and tried everything to break it...no luck.That is some strong stuff!
60 dollars a bucket? Must be the 1 gallon bucket.I bought 15 gallons..:rolleyes:
So it cost me 900 bucks to do the transom,it will out live me and the boat...no worry about any rot or thru hull fittings anymore.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Its either Seacast or all wood. Do not stick wood down in the Seacast!
Seacast is as strong as any composite you can buy but its not designed to be mixed with wood.
I tested the seacast with about a gallon i had left over. I let it cure about a week.It was about 2 inches thick.We beat it with hammers,threw it against a concrete floor and tried everything to break it...no luck.That is some strong stuff!
60 dollars a bucket? Must be the 1 gallon bucket.I bought 15 gallons..:rolleyes:
So it cost me 900 bucks to do the transom,it will out live me and the boat...no worry about any rot or thru hull fittings anymore.

now if we could only get the price down. :(

ddrieck

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Holy high dollar stuff Bateman....

I have been debateing between using wood or seacast on my transum.

Ya'll just made up my mind....Way I see it ply, if properly cared for, will out live me and the boat can be handed down to my son...Will take the extra saved by using ply and get a good starter car for my teenage son..err ...fish finder, ya, thats what I ment..did I just say that outloud.:rolleyes:

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Holy high dollar stuff Bateman....

I have been debateing between using wood or seacast on my transum.

Ya'll just made up my mind....Way I see it ply, if properly cared for, will out live me and the boat can be handed down to my son...Will take the extra saved by using ply and get a good starter car for my teenage son..err ...fish finder, ya, thats what I ment..did I just say that outloud.:rolleyes:

people that have seen and touched my transom are shocked at how strong it is......it is actually part of the hull. (wood)

20 years is a long time for a boat....if done really well....double that.

and yes....you did say fishfinder out loud......:D

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I was going to do wood in mine but did not want to remove the cap. The cap and the floor and spashwell are all one piece.
It was expensive but my body thanks me for not having to do several extra weeks of fiberglass work.. Best 900 i spent..;)

redfury

Commander

I had debated it also. I did the calculator sheet and came up with a $500 hole in my checkbook. My stepdad has zero void 1/2 ply I can peanut together and make a rock solid transom with. I'm going that route this summer.

Coors

Captain

Whatever repairs we make will outlast us, compared to what the factory gave us.....

Robj

Lieutenant

people that have seen and touched my transom are shocked at how strong it is......it is actually part of the hull. (wood)

Been der, done dat. Yep that transom sure is strong. It is solid. I would go the wood route myself, like others have said, if done properly it will last much longer than you probably care to keep the boat.

Have a great day,

Rob.

I figured it was a bad idea. And upon closer inspection (since they got a new site) i realized I WAS looking at the 1/2 gallon bucket...FOR 52 BUCK!! They must be joking.

Now, I have no idea how to do a wood transom, but i wioll certainly try. My only other option is to trade my buddy for his Tacoma. The transom is solid, but it looks like it has some de-lam in the wood. SO...

How the hell do you do a wood transom, and
How much de-lamination can a transom take before it must be reapced? It doesn't look rotted, just a little seperation on top...

thanks again guys.

mike