Sea Towing Covered by Insurance

SteveOfJupiter

Recruit
For many years, I purchased at-sea towing coverage from Boat US. Now, I have my boat insurance with Progressive and towing coverage is included with the policy. Progressive subcontracts the towing to Compass Marine Services and one contacts them via an 888 phone number. My concern is relying on this outfit if I'm in need of a tow. If Compass Marine Services simply uses Boat US or SeaTow, then all is well. If it's a bureaucratic, business hours only operation, then I'd be in trouble. Does anyone have any experience with Compass Marine Services for at-sea towing? Thanks.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Might be a good conversation to have w your insurance provider, Progressive.

Or try googling Compass Marine Service and/or calling them.

Their site seems to answer your question

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you may want to see how much they cover. I have both Progressive and Boat US unlimited.

as JB stated, call Compass Marine. if you have to arrange a tow yourself, Progressive will reimburse you, however you must pay out of pocket first. so a $1200 mile tow would be a hit to the pocket book vs the unlimited $160/year peace of mind

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Long time BoatUS tow member. Had not been towed in years so I canceled my unlimited membership and used the Progressive tow insurance.

Used Progressive service twice. Both times the same towing service that locally supports Sea Tow and Boat US showed up.

Both times I paid up front and Progressive reimbursed me with presentation of the receipt.

It was the second, estimated $2,100 tow that sent me back to Boat US. Had Progressive tow me to the nearest public ramp ~$550....$500 limit
From there, I took a $100 taxi ride back to the ramp to get the truck and trailer and $16 to cross a toll bridge with trailer.
Three hours and $660+ later I was back where I started.
Lesson learned