Sea rayder sport jet 90-need advice on parts to replace along with piston swap

cowansauto

Seaman Apprentice
I just recently bought a 1993 Sea Rayder. It had low compression on the top cylinder (15-20psi). All other cylinders showed around 130+ I believe.

Engine is apart and there is several nicks out of the piston around the rings of the top cylinder piston. After I get the measurements of the cylinders I'll post them here along with the pictures of the piston. As I was taking the connecting rods loose, the needle bearings pretty much fell everywhere. I still have the cages but the rollers are all mixed up now.

My question is, what all should I order to complete this job, other than the machine work and the one new piston kit?

1. New needle bearings and re-use old cages?
2. Gasket kit
3. Going to install new gaskets on carbs as well
4. Connecting rod cap bolts (Manual says not to reuse the old ones)

Thanks for your help and assistance. This is my first post too by the way!

aksor

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Sea rayder sport jet 90-need advice on parts to replace along with piston swap

Did it score your cylinder? If not just rehone it and install new pistons,rings, needle bearings, connecting rod bolts and gaskets

cowansauto

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Sea rayder sport jet 90-need advice on parts to replace along with piston swap

Did it score your cylinder? If not just rehone it and install new pistons,rings, needle bearings, connecting rod bolts and gaskets

Yes it cut some nicks out of the cylinder. I am wondering if 10 Over will be enough.

Here are some pictures of the piston and of the cylinder wall that the piston was taking out of. IMG_1571.jpgIMG_1565.jpg

aksor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You might have too, that looks like a lean condition make sure you find out what caused it gasket,carb,seal, else you will melt her down again.

cowansauto

Seaman Apprentice

You might have too, that looks like a lean condition make sure you find out what caused it gasket,carb,seal, else you will melt her down again.

I do have another issue too. As I was takin the connecting rods off of the crankshaft, the cages and bearings just all fell out loose. I wasn't paying attention and didn't know to keep them all together for each cylinder. These things are super expensive from Mercury. Is there a cheaper alternative?

cowansauto

Seaman Apprentice
In case anyone ever reads this and are wondering, I found a set of aftermarket rod bearings that were identical for this application on eBay. I can't remember the name of the seller or if there was a brand name listed on the package either, but there are cheaper alternatives out there!