sea-ray srv220

Texan_Ron

Cadet
I am new to i/o's and this weekend buying a project boat '79 srv220 sea ray with a 260 mercruiser the seller had engine rebuilt 6 years ago then let the boat set in open storage 5 years and as we all know open storage is asking for problems all of the interior was stolen/damaged the engine has about 50 hours on before stored but he did not fogged the engine what should be the first step before hooking a battery to engine also I will be looking for good used seats like for pontoon for front seats <br /><br />tks<br />Ron <br /><br />btw what kind of outdrive is used on this boat?

pjc

Lieutenant Commander
Re: sea-ray srv220

welcome Texan'<br />be being new here kinda, and found my way here cause of a project bought, i would suggest using search feature for kinda specific info you need.<br /><br />My slikker project is similar to yours in that the rig sat outside for some time. you may be in better shape than myself, is assume, your texas weather may not have damaged hull (moisture) as WI climate did me. <br /><br />search around, ask specific ?? regards hull, motor in appropriate furums and you are as good as gold to get some real good info---till later,---

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Pull all the plugs and squirt some motor oil in each cylinder. Leave the plugs out, and clean or replace them. Change the oil if there is any oil in it. Take a breaker bar with socket and manually turn the engine with the socket on the bolt in the center of the balancer. It should turn without a horrendous amount of force. I like to do this so as not to stress or damage the starter if something is amiss, no need to damage more than you need to. Do that for a few revolutions to oil up the cylinders a bit. Put plugs back in. Hook up muffs to good water source. Make sure fresh gasoline is in the tank. There is the possibility the carb may be gummed up, if it doesn't start, that would be the first thing I would check. Make sure the battery is charged good or new. Once you get it running, don't rev it, just let it run at around 1000 rpms, and let it get warm. Check for leaks. You can then shut it down. If it were me I would then do a good compression check, and if it comes out good, then replace cap, rotor, all the typical tune-up items. Check all wiring connections and fuse terminals for corrosion, clean or replace as necessary.<br /><br />You also want to check the outdrive. Was it stored in the up (trailer) position? If it was, the bellows may either be cracked, or may end up cracking once you use it. Raise it up and down and check it for cracks. Change the lower unit lube. Pull the prop off and clean/lube the shaft. These are just a few things, others will add more I hope...

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

in addition, check all wiring upfront. if ob, two stroke, squirtin 50/50 fuel/oil mix to wet cyl. walls is cool. if four stroker little gas won't hurt to get flow going into ring groves, also wets valve seats, kinda a top end lube, etc<br /><br />WHATEVER YOU DO--DO NOT SPRAY WD40 or similar stuff into any orfice of engine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<br /><br />this is not a lube and WILL harm your motor, engine, or whatever ya wanta call it-------<br /><br />oh ya, only turn motor over in run direction sos you dont spin water pump impeller ( if rubber) backwards (read that somewhere)<br /><br />also, for ob prior to initial start w/ muffs/ try to shoot a little water (garden hose) into water outlet to wet impeller, etc to avoid a dry start. i did this, don't know if matters, on a 58 rude and 86mariner ihad b4 initial spring start (as well as wetting cyl walls, etc w/50/50 gas oil mix). ---makes sence to lube the rubber b4 spinning 'er over though

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I posted the following in the I/O section but I see all the action has moved down here.<br /><br />First, Have the owner pay you to haul it away. After that, pull the plugs, squirt Magic Marvel Mystery oil down the cylinders, rotate the engine numerous times, with breaker bar via the crank pulley. The engine may be seized up so you may have to let it soak overnight. Once able to turn engine, as above, change the oil, take well charged battery, pull the coil wire and try to crank it over till the oil pressure guage comes off the peg. Run the starter in short bursts otherwize you'll burn it out.<br /><br />Once done, if you can, prime the carbuerator float bowl, squirt a little gas down each barrel and let her rip. The gas is undoubtedly rotten so at some point you should get it out da tank. You might also throw in a can of additive in the event you have any moisture in the gas.<br /><br />After the motor, you'll at least want to check the fluids in the outdrive, eventually changing them b4 you use the boat. Watch engine temperature carefully. Sitting that long you could have a brittle then broken impeller in the outdrive. It should show pretty quick if the temp passes the 160 mark<br /><br />Then get ready to follow all of the posts here re rebuilding the floor and stringers.<br /><br />ps I'll be flying down to Houston next Thursday to pick up a suburban a friend bought on ebay. Then take 3 days to drive it back. Keep the good weather on for me.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

If tha pistons are stuck, mix about five parts of Marvel Mystery Oil to one part Liquid Wrench and give each cylinder a good dose (coupla ounces wach) and let'um soak a day or so then try turning it over with a big breaker bar.<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

Texan_Ron

Cadet

thanks for the wise wisdom people i am tring this as a lone ranger. and was hoping not to break anything using the starter some people around here feels the engine should be good due to the engine being sealed which sounded funny to me like the saying ( if swims like a fish, smells like a fish must be a fish huh ) I am having my stepson made a web page to list photo's as i go <br />tks<br />Ron<br />p.s. if anyone know a reasonable place for parts please forward to me

Texan_Ron

Cadet

http://tk353.tripod.com/ here is photo's of the project i picked last week the engine spins freely :) on a good note the hull and inside is stipped and cleaned ready for the new wood then interior

bubbakat

Captain

ron I can see beyond all the work and see a thing of beauty there<br /> I would love to find me a project like that worth the money and tear into it keep us posted on the progress

Texan_Ron

Cadet

got the boat home and took few photo's for y'all let me know what ya think this weekend will be getting the cleaning done and repost new photo's and hoping to have the new wood work started also. Also what is best to seal the plywood cabin doors and hatch lids?

Texan_Ron

Cadet

Now I have the boat cleaned I would like to know which direction is best to relay the wood on the floor legth-wise or across? also when i rebuild the engine compartment how far from engine is safe for the woodwork over the next 2-3 weekends I am hoping to have this part inplace any and all input would be helpful tks

Texan_Ron

Cadet

hey all just got this web site thing working feel free to check it out also I have replaced few things on engine like ( plugs, points, starter oil also removed the outdrive unit to service it got the outside and inside cleaned and the good thing to note the engine fired up without a hitch now need things like the end cap for the log, t-stat housing and a 2- barrel carb then can start on the floor then move on the the seats then into the water if I am overlooking anything please let me know tks Ron<br /> http://members.fishingworks.com/Texan_Ron/photos.cfm

Texan_Ron

Cadet

Now things are moving got new flooring in with almost 1/8" glass resin to help keep water out and a rebuilt carb the engine purrrs like a kitten and idel around 600 rpm and 60# oil pressure now going to work on the rear seating and engine compartment before the carpet goes in I been talking and compairing notes with Dkwalker via phone almost weekly and have gotten some insite from his veiw also helps not to over look steps and when the engine was ideling was like a heavy weight was lifted I am sure most here knows what I mean on this web page are the photo's the last 3-4 taken today keep up the kind words y'all web page can reach me best at texan_ron@yahoo.com